Butterfly

Discussion in 'Vietnam Memories Forum' started by Guest, Mar 8, 2003.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

LarryJK
    Senior Chief Moderator III
    (6/23/01 8:37:31 am)
    | Del All Butterfly
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    While grocery shopping Thursday, I passed the shelves containing Ritz crackers. I have had this memory from time to time over the years but have never posted it. The sight reminded me of a hootch babe that I had the hots for...a very good looking Vnamese girl I recall being maybe 18-21 yrs old. Her name was Lai. She was one of four that worked our hootch, making up beds, sweeping the floor and spit shining boots. Usually I went to the PX once a week. Whenever I did she would ask me to get her a box of Ritz crackers...nothing more. And of course I would. Upon returning from the PX I would half- joking and half-serious make a move on her. She would say..." Kim oi, no, no, you beaucoup butterfly". Because of the first three letters in my last name(Kimbrough) being k i m she used the Vnamese word "kim oi" as my name. The "oi" had the symbol ^ above it. I recall one meaning of the word as being "sun". I looked it up in a Vnamese/English dictionary. I don't recall other meanings. I think I remember this one because when I first met her and she would used the word, she would always point skyward...which I didn't understand at that time.
    There were times I would be in the hootch and watch her and wonder what her life was like on the outside. I have often thought of her. I had a picture of her that I carried in my billfold. Sometime after returning to the home I was robbed and my billfold was taken. I only had ten dollars in money. But, I had more in that billfold than money...I had memories.
    When I first thought about writing this memory I thought that I would be writing in a light-hearted fashion. But, the more I wrote, that empty feeling hit me and got worse. I now write in a nostalgic mood. No, my moves on her never amounted to anything. I hope her life got better.

TShooters
    V.I.P. Member
    (6/23/01 10:24:00 am)
    | Del Re: Butterfly
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Beautiful memories, LarryJK. Thanks for sharing with us. Sorry that you lost your picture of her.

Sharon

dap22
    Senior Chief Moderator II
    (6/23/01 12:36:44 pm)
    | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: Butterfly
    Great story Larry! I think we all wonder what happened to a lot of the people that associated themselves with us. Of course I'm sure that there were a bunch who "worked" for us who had something to do with the other side. It's the ones that were faithful to us who probably got screwed in the end. No pun intended, Larry!!! LOL

oneknight
    (6/23/01 11:34:10 pm)
    Larry,

Sweet story! Strange what can trigger a memory thirty some years later. Thanks for sharing that!

Donna

hope6970
    (6/24/01 12:16:06 am)
    Larry, You may not have her photo to take out to look at but you have the memory and what she looked like at those special times in your heart, those no one can take. - Hope

mt pari
    (6/24/01 12:28:34 am)
    I agree with Hope, what we have in our hearts/minds can never be taken away. Actually that is truly all we can take with us..

LarryJK
    Senior Chief Moderator III
    (6/24/01 9:00:37 am)
    Thanks to all for understanding. After posting this memory yesterday, I spent the rest of the day depressed. After re-reading the post I saw that I had used the word "babe". I often use this word not to demean but, to descibe a female. With the feelings that I shared in the post I felt like I was insulting her. I started to delete the word but I didn't.
    Because of my depression yesterday, I know feel that there might be more to the memory than I have ever realized. Something hidden. Maybe time will tell.

oneknight
    (6/24/01 9:10:39 am)
    I believe there was a lot more meaning in your post than
    you realized when you posted it. The word, "babe" had nothing to do with what you were really saying.

Curious, have you tried to find out anything about her?

Sweet memories, we all have them.

Donna

Misterstan
    (6/24/01 12:01:21 pm)
    Larry, in the Navy we didn't have the living arrangements you Army guys had. No hootch maids, etc., but we did get to know many pretty young Vietnamese girls in the local villages near our base.

Chances are they wouldn't be able to recognize us any better than we would recognize them if we saw them today.

However, I'll bet they share many pleasant memories of us in exactly the same way you and I do about them. The memories have kept me humble and thankful for having known them a lifetime ago.

I will always carry their memories in a special place in my heart that will never be open to anyone else.

Stan Lambert
    St. Clair Shores, Michigan

homer4
    (6/25/01 3:44:55 pm)
    Songs,sounds,pictures...flipflops...anything can trigger em Larry. Good post.
    ...and two hard boiled eggs.