The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been rolling around purchasing a big bore guide gun to add to my collection. I'm really liking the 45/70; but I'm not completely sold on it yet. Do any of you guys have any suggestions on different calibers?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Smokeless, thinking mainly for wild hogs in my part of the country. I've been looking at the Henry all weather leaver action, but really like the marlin 1895 also.

·
Super Moderator
43,357 Posts
I have a couple of 45/70's, both single shot. I lust after a Marlin Lever but since I don't hunt any more, I won't spend that kind of money.

·
Premium Member
1,119 Posts
Will you shoot factory ammo or handloads? Either way, I'd vote for the 45-70. Everything is expensive and hard to find these days, but it seems to me that 45-70 ammo is a bit less expensive, and much less difficult (notice I didn't say easier) to find, than the other big bores. Come to think of it, same is true of rifles, dies, bullets and brass. My two cents.

·
Premium Member
15,022 Posts
Get the 1895 Marlin, AN OLD Marlin from the 70's or maybe the 80's. I used the 45-70 in lever rifles and single shots for a couple decades and the only reason I don't own one today is I like the 45-90 better. I'd have a lever in 45-70 but I have an original 1886 in 40-82 WCF. I'd recommend an '86 over the Marlin but they're some heavier, even in carbine form and, not quite as handy if you need quick handling. They're also more expensive, I believe. Originals certainly are but I don't know how the repro's compare.

Reactions: DinlowAl and joe45c

·
Premium Member
19,971 Posts
Dinlow, i have never hunted wild hogs, but i was wondering does it take a Big Bore rifle to take them out? Or is it that you just want to own a Big Bore rifle and use it for hogs?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You wouldn't necessarily need it take them out. Most of problem i have, is where I am its heavily wooded and not well suited for traditional long rifles. I would like one to add to my collection and have been debating on ether the 45/70 or a 450 bushmaster. I like the idea of the shorter lever gun for easier carrying; but weighing the options on the caliber.

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
Dinlow, i have never hunted wild hogs, but i was wondering does it take a Big Bore rifle to take them out? Or is it that you just want to own a Big Bore rifle and use it for hogs?
Some people hunt wild pigs with 300 BO. It just depends on where the bullet is placed. With lighter caliber/cartridges, head shots are the norm. Just keep the shots distance within 100 yards. One another forum I’m a member of with this one guy who kills at least one or two wild pigs every week with a T/C Contender carbine chambered in 30/30 with a 110 gr. Barns bullets. Some are head shots and some shots to the boiler room.

45/70 with a 300 gr. bullet is more then sufficient to drop a 300+ pound wild bore even with a shoulder shot. A 405 gr. bullet is kind of over kill, but would be good if a large bore was close and decided to charge the hunter and it was a marginal shot. At least it would change the pigs mind about the charge.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Some people hunt wild pigs with 300 BO. It just depends on where the bullet is placed. With lighter caliber/cartridges, head shots are the norm. Just keep the shots distance within 100 yards. One another forum I’m a member of with this one guy who kills at least one or two wild pigs every week with a T/C Contender carbine chambered in 30/30 with a 110 gr. Barns bullets. Some are head shots and some shots to the boiler room.

45/70 with a 300 gr. bullet is more then sufficient to drop a 300+ pound wild bore even with a shoulder shot. A 405 gr. bullet is kind of over kill, but would be good if a large bore was close and decided to charge the hunter and it was a marginal shot. At least it would change the pigs mind about the charge.
Yes sir, the last one that charged me took 5 loads of 00 buck before he went down. I don't hunt them for sport but they are an extreme nuisance where I am, so we shoot them on sight. I've been wanting a lever gun and really wanted opinions on the caliber
Will you shoot factory ammo or handloads? Either way, I'd vote for the 45-70. Everything is expensive and hard to find these days, but it seems to me that 45-70 ammo is a bit less expensive, and much less difficult (notice I didn't say easier) to find, than the other big bores. Come to think of it, same is true of rifles, dies, bullets and brass. My two cents.
Probably factory loads. Thanks for the info.

·
Premium Member
1,119 Posts
Most of the hogs I've killed were when I saw one while I was deer hunting, so my favorite hog rifle has usually been whatever I was carrying for deer.
When actually hunting hogs, my go to rifle is a 45-70 with a flatnose 405 grain cast bullet over RX 7 at about 1,300 fps. Another two cents.

·
Premium Member
15,022 Posts
I kind of disagree......in a fun way..... :giggle:

The lightest bullet I used in my 45-70's on hogs was a Lyman, 420 gr. cast bullet. My hands down favorite in my 45-90 is a 480 gr., NEI cast bullet of 25-1 over 80 grs. of Ffg. Both are real busters....on anything....but that's me....

You are right PRR, a 300 gr., 45 cal. bullet is plenty, more than plenty....but where's the fun in that?.......:giggle:

Reactions: Hawg

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
Back in the late 1980s a friend and I who’s Dad had a FFL and he ordered two Contender 14” barrels for the two of us chambered in 45/70, that my friend and I were going to use on a wild pig hunt. That cartridge in a Contender with the 300 gr. Sierra PSP was punishing to shoot. With the Speer 405 gr. was down right painful to shoot. I purchased a set of Pachmayr grip and forearm which somewhat tamed the felt recoil, but the screw for the grip started to bend. Plus one time before that I didn’t have tight enough grip with my left hand and upon recoil the gun came back and hit me on the side of my head. I started to believe the handgun/cartridge combo was just as lethal on both ends of the gun. With all that said, at 100 yards shot off sand bags on a bench, it would group 1” with a 1X Burris pistol scope.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts