Buying & Selling

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by CS4570, Feb 9, 2020.

1. CS4570

CS4570 Active Member

There is something that is puzzling me.
    Buying and selling on line thru different forums.
    I recently answered a three year old post for a WTB. I have what the poster wants. I contact him, he asks for photos I send him 17. ( I assume he is still looking)
    Now the gun I have is without a doubt 98-99%. Less than 5,000 made vs 97,000+ of the common variety.
    It's been three days, crickets.
    I understand everybody does not check e mail every day, but what is so hard about saying I'm not interested.
    That is one incident, second I post something for sale, I get will I take a trade, I reply do not really want to trade but what do you have?
    Guy comes back with something I already have, I say no thanks I have one already.
    Next question is will I take PayPal.
    I tell him yes if he gifts it and no mention of what its for, or I will take a USPS MO.
    He tells me he can't get to a PO because he is out of town (He has not even asked for any photos yet).
    He then tells me sorry for dragging this out, he will be in touch.
    Haven't heard from him since (over two weeks).
    I understand people change their minds, what is so hard to say it?

2. Catman1942

Catman1942 Well-Known Member

that is the way it is. people contact me about a muzzleloader i may have for sale, as i build them now and then. they get all excited and then nothing. however now and then one puts up the money and does so with ease. most want something high end for nothing. most go looking for a gun without the money. as ive said before some guys have the money, wait for them. the last muzzleloader i sold was a special build for him. he was so impressed that he slipped quite a bit money to me than i asked. said i wasnt asking enough. he had the money to do it. wait for these guys.

3. nmckenzie

nmckenzie Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Given he answered a response to a three year old(!) post, plus the subsequent chatter - out of town and can't get to a PO, didn't ask for photos etc., I'd call the local ATF field office and see if he could spare you few minutes.

4. Firedog

Firedog Well-Known Member Supporting Member

VT, Just under the Nostril of the Witches Nose
    I posted this before here some place but will do quick story, buddy in vt finds 4k shot gun in AZ, guy says send a check and I will send the gun. Buddy asks for pictures with newspaper next to it. He gets pictures no newspaper. Just so happens address is just couple miles from my house there. In mean time buddy in VT sends message to seller he has some one that will look at shotgun before he sends check, I send cous to do fly by, take picture of the house. The ad disappears of the "site" never to here from seller again.

Dungannon, BlackEagle, Firpo and 5 others like this.
  5. CS4570

CS4570 Active Member

Let me clarify, two different buyers, three year old post guy requested pix, which I sent.
    Nothing after that.
    The out of town guy did not ask for pix, just said he would contact when back in town,
    I emailed him about a week later (said he was at the SHOT show).
    Nothing after that.
    I don't think either was trying to pull a scam.
    It's hard to get burnt as the seller, nothing gets shipped until I have cash in hand.
    I then ship to a FFL only

Dungannon and ricochet rabbit like this.
  6. sharps4590

sharps4590 Well-Known Member

It isn't just the internet. People do it all the time. The one that always gets me is, "will you take less?" I always respond with no, not until you see it, how do you know you even want it? Or, my favorite, if the potential buyer is offensive, "no, I've been thinking about that and I know I'm pretty low for what it is. I was going to raise the price $xooo, just haven't done it yet so, if you want to negotiate we'll start from my revised price." That almost always ends the inquisition right then.

And, "I've done my research, you're too high" and they will send a picture of a two year older car with 150K on it and the price attached (mine has 58K). With out fail I ask them, then why haven't you bought that one? Some of the replies are more than amusing because usually you've caught them in a lie. Both questions are usually indicators someone is just running off at the mouth

Dungannon, BlackEagle, Firpo and 3 others like this.
  7. gdmoody

gdmoody Full Time Moderator Moderator Supporting Member

I know this is not about vehicles but I have a motorcycle story.

My daughter lives in Hawaii and a few years ago was looking for a motorcycle. She "found" a great deal on what is usually a high priced one on Craigslist. She emailed the person selling it and they corresponded back and forth for a few days working out the deal. The seller wanted her to buy a prepaid card and send him the numbers and he would have it shipped to Hawaii. She called me and was all excited about it and I told her it sounded too much like a scam. The location was somewhere over in SC according to the seller. In the pictures that were sent her, which she sent on to me, showed the cars in the background having California plates on them. I told her to tell the person that since I lived only about 100 miles away that I would bring a trailer and cash, would pick up the motorcycle, and ship it myself! When she sent that message, all emails stopped immediately. Scams are everywhere!

Dungannon, BlackEagle, Firpo and 4 others like this.
  8. TreeDave

TreeDave Well-Known Member Supporting Member

But what about the dance, The horse trader. The wheeler dealer used car salesman.
    I will always ask if that is the best you can do on price.
    Haggle when you can.
    one thing that will back me off is a low ball offer

ricochet rabbit likes this.
  9. Catman1942

i set a price, if they dont want to meet it, thats their problem. its a hobby for me, not a source of income.again most want something for nothing. when someone asks of a walmart cash card or what those things are,its a scam. my daughter worked her way through college at wallmart and worked that counter for cash cards. had scams go through their about every day. she got very good at foiling them. many were, i hate to say it, illegals from south of the border. they sure learned fast how to be a con artist.

10. sharps4590

sharps4590 Well-Known Member

Same here Catman, I hate "the dance" and rarely accept the invitation. Another of my favorites is, "if I would take $500.00 for ______, I would have priced it at $500.00"

Dungannon and ricochet rabbit like this.
  11. Catman1942

im not a hard man to get along with. however if some one likes to argue, im not your man and get away from me. no time for that. arguing means they want to control or manipulate me. once we had hail damage on our roof. the assessor came out to look at the damage. i got out the ladder to go on the roof with him. he looked at me and said,no you are not, im the only one who goes up their. i said get the hell off my place and you have only a couple of seconds to do it. nobody tells me what i can or cannot do on my own place. he left very fast. i called the insurance co. and they sent out the head guy and he was very nice. we got a good settlement. the point, is dont argue, they want to control you, dont ever be controlled. it will drive some people nuts. lots of slick willies out their.

ricochet rabbit likes this.
  12. grcsat

grcsat Well-Known Member

I hate it when someone gives a low ball offer and keeps on going " but I'm giving you cash".
    My reply is always the same. I take cash, credit cards,checks, and gold.

13. CS4570

CS4570 Active Member

I just got a reply from the WTB guy.
    I sent him what I want. We'll see.
    I like the one what's the lowest you will take, you give a number than he comes back lower

14. Firedog

Firedog Well-Known Member Supporting Member

VT, Just under the Nostril of the Witches Nose
  15. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

I hate selling anything. Once we sold a motorcycle to a guy, arranged the price over the phone and he shows up claiming he did not bring all the money. Now, that motorcycle had been trouble for us and we wanted it gone, so we took the deal. Months later he calls and says the motorcycle seized and he wants his money back .... Sorry Charlie ... sold as-is. Besides he rode it many times in this couple months. He screwed with it, apparently.

A friend had several yard sales years back. An particular ethnic group always showed up at them with a background of black market in the former country. My friend got tired of haggling with them so one of these guys starts at it. My fired just raised the counter offer price every time the buyer made an offer. The buyer got very aggravated and promptly left. Counter offers from the seller are acceptable but not when they are half or less than the posted price. When pricing stuff you have to add a bit of haggle room so the buyer feels he got a deal.

I use to restore vintage motorcycles and belonged to a club that had occasional motorcycle yard sales. I had a bunch of left over parts that were going in the trash if not sold. I put NO prices on anything and said "make offer". I sold most of it for more than I ever would have priced it.

Basically I just don't sell any guns unless I drop them off at a gun shop on consignment. That has worked a couple times.

LDBennett

joe45c likes this.