Buying & Selling

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by CS4570, Feb 9, 2020.

1. zant

zant Well-Known Member

Had 2 weird experiences....had a rifle for sale on Armslist-guy sent me a check from Phoenix,Az drawn on a business in Ga-wanted me to send to Phoenix PD-called company in Ga-it was a stolen check.
    Saw an ad for a G model Browning-thought the serial# looked familiar-went to my records....that ser# rifle is sitting in my mothers closet--called him,asked about #,he swore he had the rifle in his possession-reported him to site/they said he had ads for 4 of these using ser# which are on Brownings site.

2. tango1niner

tango1niner Well-Known Member

The latest for me was a rifle I was interested in appeared to possibly have had the butt stock shortened and recoil pad installed. I asked for length of pull measurements from the trigger to end of wood and from trigger to end of pad. He sent the LOP to the pad and NOT to the wood then assured me the stock had not been shortened. It had an aftermarket pad and not a factory pad so it in fact had been shortened. Was he being dishonest, I don't know for certain but if you want me to reply you need to give me the info I ask for...

3. LIKTOSHOOT

LIKTOSHOOT No Power Options Supporting Member

Buyer beware...seller sometimes.
    :lurk:

4. CS4570

CS4570 Active Member

My good friend from the PD and a long time FFL.He used to have a small gun store and was only open on Tues. nights, most attending were LEO.
    Any way one night this guy comes in looking for a obscure pair of grips for a oddball pistol.
    A lot of the grips on this pistol had one side broken, it was very common.
    My friend said yes he did have that grip and it was unbroken.
    The guy asks how much, my friend says $30.00. The guy flips out and says $30.00 that's
    way too much.
    My friend says you are right, takes out a hammer and wacks the grips breaking them into several pieces.
    I thought the guy was going to have a heart attack.
    He left with out saying anything.
    Now before I get all of the naysayers comments (might not get any here) which I got when I posted this story on another site (which I no longer am a member of).
    Some times this is how you deal with an AH.

5. ricochet rabbit

ricochet rabbit Well-Known Member

The only items I have sold online were brass cases, and most of the time it is pretty simple. I have always used Diamond K Brass for mine, so I go to their site and check the price. Then I reduce it a bit depending on the type of brass and the condition. I am not looking to rip anyone off, including me. Then I list it for the price I decide on + shipping, and I always ship in the smallest flat rate box possible. I have really crammed some bottle necks into a small flat rate box before.
    I have had people on another site reply to me that they saw the same amount of that brass on a web site for a lower price. Well then buy from that site, if you can get it for less why aren't you getting it? And the PM conversation went on for a few days till I just stopped replying.

6. Wild Turkey Cogburn

Wild Turkey Cogburn Well-Known Member

There are always "tire kickers".

I dont consider it sold, until cash is in hand.

The ones that really piss me off are when you make the deal, make the drive and when you get there, they say they sold it to another buyer or fail to show up at all.

7. goofy

goofy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

This is not about sales but work.
    I have people come in and ask "How much to restore this gun" Then shows me a beet up .22 and when I tell him I get the "WOW that is to much for this gun can you do any better" I answer.
    My prices are not set for particular guns it is set for all guns that is how much it costs.
    Then I hear "that is to much how do you even stay in business with those prices"?
    Answer
    "Turn around and look at the guns waiting to be restored"
    "This is not a used car lot this is a gun shop"
    "Do you know how many hours it takes to do the job right?."
    "Do you know how much the chemicals cost to do this?."
    Then I tell them the price again and it is always higher then what I already said.
    When I am asked how come the price went up I always say.
    "The extra is for putting up with your attitude and questions"
    After years of doing this I have learned that someone like this is ALWAYS a PIA because of the constant calls and whining. And the job is never good enough and they always say.
    "I do not think I will give you what you want I will give you......" (I know at this point that this was the plan all along.) So
    My answer is always the same.
    No problem I am going to sell it and give you back the difference (If there is any) after I take out what you owe me.
    Conclusion- There are some people who will always try to rip you off so ALWAYS keep your eyes open and have your answers before the questions come up.
    Mike.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2020
  8. CS4570

CS4570 Active Member

I finally heard from the WTB guy from three years ago (his post). He wanted pictures, I sent them He wanted a price so I quoted him one right in the middle of the high's and low's of the ones I seen on line. The one I have is 98-99%, some were converted to .380 most were not reliable. This one is unaltered, no import marks and six boxes of factory ammo.
    It turns out there were less than 5,000 of this model made.
    What happened so far? Crickets.
    One would think a no thanks would the least he could do.

Limbo Jimbo likes this.
  9. bluesea112

bluesea112 Well-Known Member

People from India are the worst to sell anything to. No matter how low the price is their eyes big out and they let out a big sigh and say "no, no,no. I will not pay a ridiculous price for "x". Then they try to tell you how much you will take. "I will pay you ______."

I hate that kind of crap. Always list a few bucks high, but stand firm on the minimum you will take. Dont let anybody bully you into a low ball number. Remember you can always just walk away. Their tantrum is not your problem.

10. tedwitt

tedwitt 440 Supporting Member

Just write it off as a bad experience and don't trust him.
    I wouldn't.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2020
  11. shootbrownelk

shootbrownelk Well-Known Member

They may not speak English but they sure know our monetary system. That goes for the Asians too,

12. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

The perfect sale:

My son just bought a new motorcycle and needed to eventually sell his old bike. He posted ads on two motorcycle racing sites. In no more than 10 minutes a friend calls, said he saw the ad, and wants the bike. He even agreed to pay the asking price. So my son throws in about $1000 worth of extras. It was a long time friend and it avoided having to sell the parts individually. Then he started getting texts and had to put SOLD on the ads to stop the texts. In over 50 years of buying and selling personal motorcycles, I have never sold a motorcycle in that short of time….it usually takes months! The bike was a two year old desirable model, well maintained by my mechanic son, low hours, and the price was right out of the Blue Book. We thought that in this virus time no one would have the money or risk buying anything that expensive until the Corona Virus scare was totally over. And maybe not then as the tanked economy would need time to recover…Boy were we wrong!

LDBennett

13. Wild Turkey Cogburn

Wild Turkey Cogburn Well-Known Member

It happens

I've had many ARMSLIST deals, both buy and sell, never a problem. There have been 2 times, where I was suspicious of the person and cut contact.

My brother had gone in to the HD dealer, one Saturday. He was good friends with the manager and they were going on a ride the next day.

He seen this 3yo bike sitting out front, that he had seen before and really liked.

His manager friend comes out, with the Dr that owned that owned the bike. The Dr was looking to trade for a new one.

Brother asked about the bike. They were talking, when a pickup pulls in and 2 guys get out.

The passenger walks straight over to my brother's bike and says, " this is the one I seen riding around the lake. Is it for sale? "

Dealer made the Dr a deal to trade for the new bike.
    Made my Brother a deal on the Dr's bike. Got it for Book trade-in less what he had paid for his 7yo bike, that he had had for 4 years.

Then dealer sold it go the other dude. All in less than an hour.

When the deal is right, it happens.

tedwitt likes this.
  14. Catman1942

Catman1942 Well-Known Member

in a couple of weeks when i get my stem cell extraction thing done im getting the door fixed on a extra old toyota pickup in have sitting in the yard. got a bigger newer one also for back up so dont need it. it will sit next to the high way infront of the place with a big for sale sign on it. will ask 800 dollars for it as is. old but runs good and the tires are good. ill have it sold in a couple of days as when the indians see it they will grab it up. ive sold a boat that way and another pickup and it was gone in a couple of days. then im going to buy a nice cowboy handgun with the money. if every one who reads this has a older car of truck that still runs and put it by my place it would sell in a couple of days. it will be cash on the table and then they get the title. indians love that kind of stuff. the last one i sold a couple of years ago is most likely still running around the rez. their shade tree mech. can keep them running. several years ago i gave a old toyota pickup to a natives friends son. my son says he now and then sees that old blue toyota running around the area now and then.

tedwitt and Dungannon like this.
  15. AStahl

AStahl Member

I recall a gunsmith in my town that he did rebluing and custom stocks. All the time he would get people demanding this and that, run up a huge bill, then when it came to pick it up and pay: "Do you accept an IOU?" "Can I take it out first and see if I am pleased with it and then pay you?" "I changed my mind, can you do this now?" I remember all the racks of guns he had on the wall he just kept and told them to bugger off when they played that game. He had a little .22 pistol he repaired for only $10, and the guy wanted to give him an IOU then questioned his work, then never came back for it and the pistol itself was worth several times that repair cost. Long story short, some people are just odd, spoiled, or just plain foolish. When you buy and sell anything, they come out of the woodwork.