The Firearms Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,653 Posts
This is not about sales but work.
I have people come in and ask "How much to restore this gun" Then shows me a beet up .22 and when I tell him I get the "WOW that is to much for this gun can you do any better" I answer.
My prices are not set for particular guns it is set for all guns that is how much it costs.
Then I hear "that is to much how do you even stay in business with those prices"?
Answer
"Turn around and look at the guns waiting to be restored"
"This is not a used car lot this is a gun shop"
"Do you know how many hours it takes to do the job right?."
"Do you know how much the chemicals cost to do this?."
Then I tell them the price again and it is always higher then what I already said.
When I am asked how come the price went up I always say.
"The extra is for putting up with your attitude and questions"
After years of doing this I have learned that someone like this is ALWAYS a PIA because of the constant calls and whining. And the job is never good enough and they always say.
"I do not think I will give you what you want I will give you......" (I know at this point that this was the plan all along.) So
My answer is always the same.
No problem I am going to sell it and give you back the difference (If there is any) after I take out what you owe me.
Conclusion- There are some people who will always try to rip you off so ALWAYS keep your eyes open and have your answers before the questions come up.
Mike.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I finally heard from the WTB guy from three years ago (his post). He wanted pictures, I sent them He wanted a price so I quoted him one right in the middle of the high's and low's of the ones I seen on line. The one I have is 98-99%, some were converted to .380 most were not reliable. This one is unaltered, no import marks and six boxes of factory ammo.
It turns out there were less than 5,000 of this model made.
What happened so far? Crickets.
One would think a no thanks would the least he could do.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
People from India are the worst to sell anything to. No matter how low the price is their eyes big out and they let out a big sigh and say "no, no,no. I will not pay a ridiculous price for "x". Then they try to tell you how much you will take. "I will pay you ______."

I hate that kind of crap. Always list a few bucks high, but stand firm on the minimum you will take. Dont let anybody bully you into a low ball number. Remember you can always just walk away. Their tantrum is not your problem.

·
11,163 Posts
There is something that is puzzling me.
Buying and selling on line thru different forums.
I recently answered a three year old post for a WTB. I have what the poster wants. I contact him, he asks for photos I send him 17. ( I assume he is still looking)
Now the gun I have is without a doubt 98-99%. Less than 5,000 made vs 97,000+ of the common variety.
It's been three days, crickets.
I understand everybody does not check e mail every day, but what is so hard about saying I'm not interested.
That is one incident, second I post something for sale, I get will I take a trade, I reply do not really want to trade but what do you have?
Guy comes back with something I already have, I say no thanks I have one already.
Next question is will I take PayPal.
I tell him yes if he gifts it and no mention of what its for, or I will take a USPS MO.
He tells me he can't get to a PO because he is out of town (He has not even asked for any photos yet).
He then tells me sorry for dragging this out, he will be in touch.
Haven't heard from him since (over two weeks).
I understand people change their minds, what is so hard to say it?
Just write it off as a bad experience and don't trust him.
I wouldn't.

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
i set a price, if they dont want to meet it, thats their problem. its a hobby for me, not a source of income.again most want something for nothing. when someone asks of a walmart cash card or what those things are,its a scam. my daughter worked her way through college at wallmart and worked that counter for cash cards. had scams go through their about every day. she got very good at foiling them. many were, i hate to say it, illegals from south of the border. they sure learned fast how to be a con artist.
They may not speak English but they sure know our monetary system. That goes for the Asians too,

·
Registered
10,066 Posts
The perfect sale:

My son just bought a new motorcycle and needed to eventually sell his old bike. He posted ads on two motorcycle racing sites. In no more than 10 minutes a friend calls, said he saw the ad, and wants the bike. He even agreed to pay the asking price. So my son throws in about $1000 worth of extras. It was a long time friend and it avoided having to sell the parts individually. Then he started getting texts and had to put SOLD on the ads to stop the texts. In over 50 years of buying and selling personal motorcycles, I have never sold a motorcycle in that short of time….it usually takes months! The bike was a two year old desirable model, well maintained by my mechanic son, low hours, and the price was right out of the Blue Book. We thought that in this virus time no one would have the money or risk buying anything that expensive until the Corona Virus scare was totally over. And maybe not then as the tanked economy would need time to recover…Boy were we wrong!

LDBennett

1,077 Posts
It happens

I've had many ARMSLIST deals, both buy and sell, never a problem. There have been 2 times, where I was suspicious of the person and cut contact.

My brother had gone in to the HD dealer, one Saturday. He was good friends with the manager and they were going on a ride the next day.

He seen this 3yo bike sitting out front, that he had seen before and really liked.

His manager friend comes out, with the Dr that owned that owned the bike. The Dr was looking to trade for a new one.

Brother asked about the bike. They were talking, when a pickup pulls in and 2 guys get out.

The passenger walks straight over to my brother's bike and says, " this is the one I seen riding around the lake. Is it for sale? "

Dealer made the Dr a deal to trade for the new bike.
Made my Brother a deal on the Dr's bike. Got it for Book trade-in less what he had paid for his 7yo bike, that he had had for 4 years.

Then dealer sold it go the other dude. All in less than an hour.

When the deal is right, it happens.

·
Banned
1,299 Posts
in a couple of weeks when i get my stem cell extraction thing done im getting the door fixed on a extra old toyota pickup in have sitting in the yard. got a bigger newer one also for back up so dont need it. it will sit next to the high way infront of the place with a big for sale sign on it. will ask 800 dollars for it as is. old but runs good and the tires are good. ill have it sold in a couple of days as when the indians see it they will grab it up. ive sold a boat that way and another pickup and it was gone in a couple of days. then im going to buy a nice cowboy handgun with the money. if every one who reads this has a older car of truck that still runs and put it by my place it would sell in a couple of days. it will be cash on the table and then they get the title. indians love that kind of stuff. the last one i sold a couple of years ago is most likely still running around the rez. their shade tree mech. can keep them running. several years ago i gave a old toyota pickup to a natives friends son. my son says he now and then sees that old blue toyota running around the area now and then.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I recall a gunsmith in my town that he did rebluing and custom stocks. All the time he would get people demanding this and that, run up a huge bill, then when it came to pick it up and pay: "Do you accept an IOU?" "Can I take it out first and see if I am pleased with it and then pay you?" "I changed my mind, can you do this now?" I remember all the racks of guns he had on the wall he just kept and told them to bugger off when they played that game. He had a little .22 pistol he repaired for only $10, and the guy wanted to give him an IOU then questioned his work, then never came back for it and the pistol itself was worth several times that repair cost. Long story short, some people are just odd, spoiled, or just plain foolish. When you buy and sell anything, they come out of the woodwork.

·
Premium Member
14,067 Posts
I know what you mean pdk. When I was wanting to get my Jeffrey Rook rifle re-lined, the bore was a sewer pipe, I talked to my gunsmith/friend who was really busy at the time. He told me not right then and that he didn't have a reamer, the bit or the go/no go gauges for a 25-20. I got to thinking about it and approached him a few weeks later and offered to buy the bit, liner, reamer and gauges, he will not rent a reamer due to bad past experiences...and I have no idea what it was. Anyway, Mark agrees, we order the stuff and in about a week he calls and tells me the rifle is finished. I go to pick it up and ask what I owe him. He says, "nothing if you'll give me the bit, reamer and gauges." What am I gonna do with that stuff? Sounded like a heck of a deal to me so the tools are his, even though he acknowledged he'll probably never do another 25-20 in his life. If he does, he's set up.

Edit; The rifle shoots like a house a'fire now!

·
Premium Member
19,304 Posts
I know what you mean pdk. When I was wanting to get my Jeffrey Rook rifle re-lined, the bore was a sewer pipe, I talked to my gunsmith/friend who was really busy at the time. He told me not right then and that he didn't have a reamer, the bit or the go/no go gauges for a 25-20. I got to thinking about it and approached him a few weeks later and offered to buy the bit, liner, reamer and gauges, he will not rent a reamer due to bad past experiences...and I have no idea what it was. Anyway, Mark agrees, we order the stuff and in about a week he calls and tells me the rifle is finished. I go to pick it up and ask what I owe him. He says, "nothing if you'll give me the bit, reamer and gauges." What am I gonna do with that stuff? Sounded like a heck of a deal to me so the tools are his, even though he acknowledged he'll probably never do another 25-20 in his life. If he does, he's set up.

Vic, so how did he or did he remark the caliber on your relined barrel? did he just etch out the rook marking and stamp it .25-20?

·
Premium Member
14,067 Posts
He didn't do anything that you could see....and I'm grateful. It will still chamber and fire 255 Jeffrey safely, which is unaltered on one of the barrel flats....if anyone can even find that ammo. It is stamped on the bottom of the barrel, under the forearm.

Reactions: joe45c

·
Premium Member
19,304 Posts
He didn't do anything that you could see....and I'm grateful. It will still chamber and fire 255 Jeffrey safely, which is unaltered on one of the barrel flats....if anyone can even find that ammo. It is stamped on the bottom of the barrel, under the forearm.
Ok i'm just a little confused. Is the .255 jeffery the same as the .25-20? And if it is why even bother to rechamber it to .25-20. Just shoot .25-20 in the original barrel. And since he didn't remark the relined barrel in some way how will the next owner know to shoot .25-20 out of it?

·
Premium Member
19,304 Posts
When I was wanting to get my Jeffrey Rook rifle re-lined, the bore was a sewer pipe,
Whoops never mind just read your previous post saying the bore was a sewer pipe is why you relined it. Not so confused now, well maybe a little cause that's the way i am usually.;)

·
Premium Member
14,067 Posts
To answer why I didn't go back to the original Jeffrey cartridge, one word, money. The Jeffrey 25 cal. Rook cartridges were .251 and our 25's are .257. A fella can use 25 ACP bullets or, cast...which I do anyway. A reamer would have to have been custom made as would the go/no go gauges and the liner. When I checked on all that it was over a grand....more than I gave for the rifle.

The Jeffrey and Winchester cartridge are not the same but they are close. 255 Jeffrey can be made from 25-20. Hindsight being 20/20, I THINK we could have short chambered the 25-20 to the same length as the 255 Jeffrey. What I haven't checked is how the longer neck of the 25-20 would have worked out. Just going from my more than feeble memory I don't think that would have worked very well. A fella would have ended up with a case that looked similar to the 297 Morris Long. At this point in time...it's all sorta moot....lol!!

Reactions: joe45c

·
Registered
4,411 Posts

I myself have done the very same thing. If it is odd enough , the customer pays for the tooling and I do the work with the understanding that I keep the tools. And I charge the customer very little or sometimes not at all. What you have is happy customer and happy gunsmith. If I ever have to use those same tools its there ready to be used and sometimes they just never get used.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts