Buying & Selling

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by CS4570, Feb 9, 2020.

1. pdkfishing

pdkfishing Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Guess I'm really spoiled. Never thought my gunsmith charged me a fair price. Always low. :)

sharps4590, joe45c and tedwitt like this.
  2. sharps4590

sharps4590 Well-Known Member

I know what you mean pdk. When I was wanting to get my Jeffrey Rook rifle re-lined, the bore was a sewer pipe, I talked to my gunsmith/friend who was really busy at the time. He told me not right then and that he didn't have a reamer, the bit or the go/no go gauges for a 25-20. I got to thinking about it and approached him a few weeks later and offered to buy the bit, liner, reamer and gauges, he will not rent a reamer due to bad past experiences...and I have no idea what it was. Anyway, Mark agrees, we order the stuff and in about a week he calls and tells me the rifle is finished. I go to pick it up and ask what I owe him. He says, "nothing if you'll give me the bit, reamer and gauges." What am I gonna do with that stuff? Sounded like a heck of a deal to me so the tools are his, even though he acknowledged he'll probably never do another 25-20 in his life. If he does, he's set up.

Edit; The rifle shoots like a house a'fire now!

3. joe45c

joe45c Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Vic, so how did he or did he remark the caliber on your relined barrel? did he just etch out the rook marking and stamp it .25-20?

4. sharps4590

He didn't do anything that you could see....and I'm grateful. It will still chamber and fire 255 Jeffrey safely, which is unaltered on one of the barrel flats....if anyone can even find that ammo. It is stamped on the bottom of the barrel, under the forearm.

joe45c likes this.
  5. joe45c

Ok i'm just a little confused. Is the .255 jeffery the same as the .25-20? And if it is why even bother to rechamber it to .25-20. Just shoot .25-20 in the original barrel. And since he didn't remark the relined barrel in some way how will the next owner know to shoot .25-20 out of it?

6. joe45c

Whoops never mind just read your previous post saying the bore was a sewer pipe is why you relined it. Not so confused now, well maybe a little cause that's the way i am usually.;)

sharps4590 likes this.
  7. sharps4590

To answer why I didn't go back to the original Jeffrey cartridge, one word, money. The Jeffrey 25 cal. Rook cartridges were .251 and our 25's are .257. A fella can use 25 ACP bullets or, cast...which I do anyway. A reamer would have to have been custom made as would the go/no go gauges and the liner. When I checked on all that it was over a grand....more than I gave for the rifle.

The Jeffrey and Winchester cartridge are not the same but they are close. 255 Jeffrey can be made from 25-20. Hindsight being 20/20, I THINK we could have short chambered the 25-20 to the same length as the 255 Jeffrey. What I haven't checked is how the longer neck of the 25-20 would have worked out. Just going from my more than feeble memory I don't think that would have worked very well. A fella would have ended up with a case that looked similar to the 297 Morris Long. At this point in time...it's all sorta moot....lol!!

joe45c likes this.
  8. grcsat

grcsat Well-Known Member

I myself have done the very same thing. If it is odd enough , the customer pays for the tooling and I do the work with the understanding that I keep the tools. And I charge the customer very little or sometimes not at all. What you have is happy customer and happy gunsmith. If I ever have to use those same tools its there ready to be used and sometimes they just never get used.