Buying things online...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by glocknut, May 9, 2009.

1. glocknut

glocknut Active Member

I've been wondering... lets say a person has downloaded a few things from an adult website here and there... and wants to order a few things off a non adult website. Even though the anti virus says the computer is clean...what's the likelyhood if that person uses a credit card to order something that that card number will get hacked and used by a hacker?
    I heard there are viruses or trojan horses that record every keystroke and thats how they get cc numbers?

Dare i use a credit card online with my computer?

mike
    gn

2. fmacsin1

fmacsin1 New Member

First off, everything you do online is pretty known by someone. It's so easy to get "your" information from the internet, it's scary. Saying that, I'm not sure that anything is or can be "hacker-safe" anymore. But I do buy online, but I don't use my credit card! I use my debit card because if that gets hacked, they certainly aren't going to get much from me and where I check my banking every day (by computer), I know what's going on with my checking acc't and would see anything amiss immediately. Like I said, I rarely have enough money in that acc't to make it worth anyone's effort. It's the only account I use on the internet for that reason. I never give my credit number nor my checking acc't number over the phone or online. I have to say though that I've never had any problems using my debit card yet and I've been buying online for years. No matter what you use, your numbers will be tracked by someone!

3. dbrodin

dbrodin New Member

Statically, you are not anymore likely to be taken by using your card on-line than at the store down the street. That said, there are viruses/programs that some sites may install without your knowing it that watch for banking/credit card information being sent to a legitimate site and record it for retransmission to the bad guys. Just viewing photos is not likely to compromise you system. Rule of thumb, use some common sense as to what you download and from where, keep your anti-virus program up to date, and NEVER click-on or open anything that is a .exe, .bat, .msi, or .scr file unless you are positive you trust the source.

Dale

4. Mike, all legitimate websites that do business online will have a scrambled secure page where actual ordering is done. Normally, when you click on the "Purchase" button, the one that takes you to the actual ordering area, the webpage will display and address beginning with "https" instead of just "http." I would never order anything online from a company that does not use a secure webpage for ordering. Hope that helps a bit.

5. pawn

pawn Active Member

all good points. citibank offer's a virtual account number generator in which a temporary cc# is generated for the transaction with a specific vendor and it expires after 1 month

6. cycloneman

cycloneman Well-Known Member

hay GN i agree with pistol here. but lets look at some options. if you decide to phone in your order and do it over a cordless phone, someone is listening. I used to listen to tons of 800 meg cell phone and corless phone calls in my neighborhood with a scanner. so what ya gona do. someone somewhere somehow is watching or listening. how do you know you can trust the company your dealing with? with your luck an employee will take your info, charge a ton of stuff and move to mexico. i think the best thing to do is like someone else said have a debit card with a small limit on it.

good luck orgering that vibrator.:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

im gona duck now.

remember you set your self up for that one.:D:D:D:D

7. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Someone made a purchase with my card one time. I told Discover it wasn't me, they canceled the charge, killed the card and issued me a new one. No hoo-hoo.

8. durk

durk Active Member

Hey Mike, go to one of our local banks here and buy yourself a VISA gift card. Put only the amount of $$ that you want on it and go shop the Internet.

9. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

No one that is pro-gun should have anything to do with citibank.

In 2000 they canceled the card for a gun store in Vegas, because they were a gun store. Guns are bad. That news got around, and there was a nation-wide citibank boycott. So they said, "Oh, some idiot in accounting did that. It's not our policy."

In 2008, they apparently thought it had been long enough to try again, and did a similar thing with CDNN.

You deal with citibank, you are giving aid and comfort to the enemy.

http://accurateshooter.wordpress.co...-policies-stir-controversy-calls-for-boycott/

10. USMCSpeedy

USMCSpeedy Member

Most other credit card company's do this as well to help protect their customers who shop online. Not cancelling cards mind you, but issuing temporary card numbers for online use.

Last edited: May 9, 2009
  11. flannelman

flannelman New Member

Rural Arkansas. But isn't all of Arkansas rural?
    He Mike, You can download programs that specifically scan your computer for keyloggers. I use a lot of spyware removers because one or two won't get them all and you antivirus often won't get them all either. Most of it just tracking cookies and stuff like that. Go to a reputable web site and search for keylogger removers and you should be able to find something to scan your computer with.

12. jacksonco

jacksonco New Member

My debit card number was hi-jacked from a company that processes cards for resturaunts. My bank sent me a notice that they were canceling my card and sending me a new one. I guess the company that handled the cards notified the banks that their data base had been stolen. So is doesnt matter if you are on line or not card numbers are always vulnerable to theft.

13. kutaho

kutaho New Member

Peoples Republic of the Pacific Northwest
    We were taken to the cleaners, they got the information from the credit card computer by monitoring there line. Happened in mar. still haven't recovered. Killed the card and closed the checking account. Back to cash only.

14. 22WRF

22WRF Well-Known Member

There is also the possibility your CC number could be hacked off a computer of someone youhave used it to purchase something.

I have $1.00 charge on my I have no idea where it came for other than it's listed as YourCCpay.com the phone number is a Canada area code and the web site host traced to Cyprus http://yourccpay.com/.
    Chase Visa took it off my bill and voided my CC # sent a new card.

15. pawn

pawn Active Member

Thanks Alpo, I wasn't aware of this.