The Firearms Forum banner

Buying Your Own Christmas Presents....

3K views 34 replies 23 participants last post by  RobertFromTennessee 
#1 ·
What's wrong with that...Santa sent me 30lbs of foundry Lino,.357SIG dies,and more Grock mags...I really wanted the new RCBS single press for some reason.

#5 ·
If I don't buy what I want for Christmas, I usually get an ugly tie, or an ugly shirt! No one even spend enough money on my present to buy me the aftershave I like.

#6 ·
I never use CHRISTmas as an excuse to by me stuff. I use my wallet (or credit card bill) to determine if it's time for a new toy/tool. I really like giving my wife stuff for CHRISTmas and usually go way overboard, so at this time of the year, I'm often broke:(.

BTW; after 5 wives, I've finally learned that you can't go wrong with diamonds and roses. Gets expensive, but so are divorces...:D

#9 ·
Some of us are slow learners!:D

#10 ·
I wish I could buy my own present. My wife spends way to much on stuff I don't want. I spend way to much on her also but I know she wants the items I buy. I would take the stuff back but I don't want to hurt her feelings.

Then after christmas I have to pay all this stuff she bought off. One year she put $3000 on my AMEX card and it was all due jan 15th. She no longer has that card.

Women, can't live with them, can't live without them. :)

#34 ·
I wish I could buy my own present. My wife spends way to much on stuff I don't want. I spend way to much on her also but I know she wants the items I buy. I would take the stuff back but I don't want to hurt her feelings.

Then after christmas I have to pay all this stuff she bought off. One year she put $3000 on my AMEX card and it was all due jan 15th. She no longer has that card.

Women, can't live with them, can't live without them. :)
Haha! "Women, you can't live with them....and I'll have another beer" Norm Peterson (Cheers)

#14 ·
Santa (me) is bringing me a new lead pot this year. It a Lyman Mag25, to replace a LEE 10 pounder that I gave to a buddy after his took a dump. Mrs. Clause wanted jewelry this year, so I told her to pick out what she wanted and get it. She's a better judge of what he wants than I am.

#15 ·
Here's how it usually works around our house. We go to the mall, I tell my wife how much we can spend on each other, she shops for herself and then tells me what I got her and I go to Bass Pro and tell her what she got me. She gets exactly what she wants and I get what I want. It's a win win situation. Works out great every year.

#16 ·
I'm at a point in life where I need little, and want much, and what I want is so specialized that there is no one else who can select it for me. So after I've done what shopping I want to do for loved ones, I take stock of what I can afford and pick out something nice for me. This year it was a .22 LR conversion kit for my Sig P-938, which arrived yesterday but which I can't play with right now, being stuck in the PRC for Christmas.

After this trip, I may have to spring for a set of tires, as well; they're getting mighty thin... When did big rubber bands get so expensive? I can remember choosing between the $30 Winstons or the $35 Michelins, and the Winstons winning every time. They had the same lifetime rating, and the cheaper ones had a better road hazard warranty. Now it's $1000 a set, and pay extra for road hazard coverage!:mad:

#17 ·
Reactions: David13
#19 ·
My wonderful wife got me just what I wanted, a remote starter for my 2014 Honda Civic. I hate getting into a cold car! She got a 5.1 surround sound bar for the TV, as her aging ears are having trouble making out what people are saying. And boots. And Carol Burnett shows on DVD, and some vegetable kitchen thing that she wanted. And, if she is real good today, I have another present for her later...

#29 ·
Somehow it seems we come full circle...only the grandkids don't bother to get up to relieve the pressure.:eek::oops::rolleyes::p

Reactions: raven818
#28 ·
Tires? Yes, I'm going to be getting tires for Christmas for myself too, because I had a flat on the motorcycle on Tuesday, going to pick up my Christmas present for myself.
My patch kit and pump got me home. And I have 11,000 miles on the tires anyway, so it's time for new ones.
My policy has always been give money if you want but do not get me anything. As I won't get you anything either, maybe just money.
Many people buy what they (the giver) wants, or what they THINK the givee wants. So it's all too frequently wrong.
Give money and let them get their own present. That way they get exactly what they want.
dc

#30 ·
My wife got a North Face jacket, clothing, and some boots this year. I guess this year was all about our kids, and me. The kidos had a great Christmas, and I got a note wrapped up in a box that said "Go buy that Dillon XL650 thing you have been wanting". I wonder if she really knows how much they are loaded.

#31 ·
"My policy has always been give money if you want but do not get me anything. As I won't get you anything either, maybe just money.
Many people buy what they (the giver) wants, or what they THINK the givee wants. So it's all too frequently wrong.
Give money and let them get their own present. That way they get exactly what they want"

Bah! Humbug! I consider my gifts as thoughtful considerations for my friends/family. I'm thinkin' "would she enjoy this?". or "would this make his time a bit better?". I never give anything that even hints at work, like a vacuum cleaner or such, except if the gift is for a feller that loves tools. Wrong? Never, it's just that gift giving should be "I'm thinking about you and hoping you'll enjoy this" and not if the gift is useful or how much it costs...

#32 ·
I try and listen to what my wife and son say 6 months befor Christmas. When it came time to get them their gifts I knew exactly what to get. Wife got a new laptop and son got a Ruger American in 223.

My 5 daughters are another matter. I never know what they want. My wife handles that. My Grandson that lives with us is another hard one. Can't get him guns as he has some pending court issues and no drivers licence. Not bad stuff just traffic accident. Can't get an Illinois gun card until this is cleared up. Let the wife do that too.

My other Grandson is in his senior year at college. He gets food (my wife fills up boxes of food for him) and cash. That is what he needs.

My Granddaughter got a flat screen tv.

Reactions: BlackEagle
#33 ·
I got quite the selection of polo/sweat/dress/T shirts, jackets, jeans and sweaters over the past 40 years from my kids, saying that they don't know what to get me.
Horse puckeys!
They know full well what my interests are, but won't spring for a jug of powder, or a brick of primers, etc.
I've bought myself whatever I wanted/needed and am the best dressed shooter at the range.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.