The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fellas, I have one for ya. Nothing but "C B Maynard" stamped on top of the barrel. It appears to be a post Civil War (late 1800's) 20 gauge shotgun. There's a medallion with the inscription "Hudson Fulton Celebration, NY 1909" and a 1 dollar gold coin token, both apparently were nailed on by the youngster who owned it. I first mistook these as Competition Medals, but quickly realized that wasn't the case after some research. It was an interesting read to be sure!

The one thing I was unable to find out was who manufactured it and when? My guess it's worth is minimal.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
Welcome to TFF.

It's an interesting thing, but Vorisek's "Shotgun Markings 1865 to 1940" lists no Maynard or Lone Star, and the only thing a search turns up is one expired listing (possibly one you have?):

OLD C.B.MAYNARD BRASS FRAME SHOTGUN-LONE STAR $200.00

There was a C. B. Maynard who was a County Clerk in Bastrop Texas 1880s, if the marking might be owner and not maker (which seems unlikely)...

The underlever style action is mostly found on old European guns; have you removed the barrel and looked for proofmarks?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply, hrf. That listing could be where my brother got it a few years ago. He gave it to me with no info. Funny, I didn't run into that listing on my search, your good! I stuck it in a closet for a couple years and ran across it during our spring cleaning. Decided to display it next to the fireplace.

There are no markings besides the C B Maynard stamp on the top of the barrel. I completely disassembled it and was not able to find a darn thing.

I also wondered if the C B Maynard stamp was an actual owner of the firearm, but it really looks like a manufacturer's stamp. So, who knows?

Well, thanks again. Anyone else have any idea?

·
Registered
5,354 Posts
There was a Maynard/Perry Brass frame carbine 1861/62, but if your firearm has no rifling, then don't know. The lines look French or Belgium, but if no proof marks then it is probably US made. The US was the only western country that did not have a national proof house. Note, I've seen that Brass frame somewhere before, but I'll be dog nabbed if I can find it now.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I don't know who made it, but I'm interested in the shotgun because of the name on the barrel. My maternal grand father was C.B. Maynard from Bastrop, Texas (1905-1991). His name sake, was his grand father CB Maynard who settled in Bastrop, Texas (1825-1888). He served as District Clerk of Bastrop. CB appears on the Bastrop County Tax Roll in 1838. He came to Texas as a young man leaving his parents and siblings behind in New York and Virginia. My Grandfather and Great Great Grandfather were buried in the Fairview Cemetery in Bastrop, Texas. C.B. is short for Copenitus Bannister, a family name. Both men were public servants known only as CB. The unique name, use of the initials, lone star, time period, the New York token and the name stamped on the barrel suggest it may have been owned by the senior CB. If you are ever interested in parting with the shotgun I would like purchase it for the family.

·
Registered
163 Posts
apparently, the Hudson Fulton Celebration was a big deal. Perhaps pursuing that 1909 event will dig up some revference, esp since the Texas Maynard had some connection to NY prior to Texas. In this Wikipedia description, there are some reference notes that might be looked into. There were some Maynards listed in association with the event, in one book on the event.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hudson-Fulton_Celebration

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
wcm, never thought I'd find the actual owner's family through this forum! I don't know why I decided to check for any responses today. My ears we're burnin'! I'll pm ya regarding your request.

frow, I spent a good part of a Sunday afternoon researching it. Thanks for your input!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
wcm,

Can't PM you. Have to have at least 15 posts.

It's amazing how this turned out. I have it leaning up against fireplace now and have enjoyed the story behind it. I'd be pleased to send it to you directly, just not sure of Texas law vs antique firearms. Otherwise, I'll send it to your nearest gunshop?

Anyway, I called my brother and he said he paid 300 at a auction website. Apparently, it's starting bid was 200 or 250 and he bid it up to 300. Also, they shipped it directly to him. Add the shipping and/or transfer fees (if applicable) and it's yours. Now, if I could only figure out how to get your email address in private. I guess a few more posts are in order. Let me know if your interested.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2 Posts
You are very generous. I would like purchase the shotgun. I tried to respond to your friend invitation through the Forum. I'm not sure it did it right. My email address is ______please contact me at his address. Again,thank you!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts