C&R eligible Collectables

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by cointoss2, Mar 4, 2003.

1. cointoss2

cointoss2 Guest

Bob In St Louis
    Bob In St. Louis
    (2/20/01 10:05:00 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del All C&R eligible Collectables
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am primarilly interested in pre 1950 Spanish Steel, but will gladly discuss any pre 1950s militaries. I have delved into Moisin Nagant rifles, dabbled around with contract mausers, love FN49 rifles, am intrigued with the developmental period of semi-auto rifles from 1945 to 1950 (FN49, Garand, Hakim, Jungmann, MAS), and totally fascinated with the broad diversity of 7.65mm (32ACP) semi-autos produced throughout Europe from around WWI.

Did I mention my favorite cartridge is the 9mm Largo?
    Support the Dead Party, vote Harry S. Truman for Missouri Senate in 2002!

dap22
    (2/20/01 8:30:10 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: C&R eligible Collectables
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Another question.....I inherited from my father a Winchester 22 short pump with an octagonal barrel that I'm told was called a gallery gun. I guess they used to use it at fairs around the first part of last century (sounds like a long time ago). Am considering selling the thing since I don't think the kids would be interested and I haven't fired the thing in years....it's in remarkable shape...can get info on it if needed #'s etc. Is it a pretty common gun and/or sought after at all? Hope this is the right forum.
    Dave P

Bob In St Louis
    Bob In St. Louis
    (2/21/01 7:55:53 am)
    The gallery pump rifles are worth $100 to $200 depending on condition, with some going higher if the particular collector interested is looking for some particular features. They came in a longer barrel full rifle version, and in a shorter carbine version.

Rossi recently made a copy of these old galley pump rifles (I believe it is the Model 62?) in both the longer rifle version and shorter carbine. They are fitted with beautiful dark walnut stocks, and my son and daughter love the little carbine version I have.
    Support the Dead Party, vote Harry S. Truman for Missouri Senate in 2002!

Xracer
    (2/24/01 10:32:03 am)
    Sweet, sweet little rifle. Yeah, if it's .22 short only, it's a gallery gun. They were used at shooting galleries and shooting booths at fairs and carnivals. I remember seeing (and shooting at) these booths as late as the 1960's. There was a big shooting gallery on the Boardwalk at Atlantic City, NJ, that had maybe 30 or 40 of these as late as 1965 (and maybe even later).

BTW, if you shoot it, don't be surprised if the sights are WAY off. Carnie and fair booth operators used to "tweak" the sights so you'd miss the targets and they wouldn't have to give you a prize.

The Rossi is a copy of this gun, and is probably the sweetest little "plinker" ever made......absolutely deadly on the wily and dangerous Campbell's Tomato Soup can.

Edited by: Xracer at: 2/24/01 10:38:29 am

Tac401
    Administrator
    (2/24/01 1:23:00 pm)
    Xracer,

I too remember shooting these guns on the boardwalk in
    Wildwood NJ, they also had 2 six shooters in holsters with
    chains attached to the butts of them however, they would
    only let you use those if you were old enough I think.

I love those older guns, what craftsmenship they had
    indeed.

Tac

dap22
    (2/25/01 6:43:58 pm)
    Hey Xracer, next time I shoot the gallery gun, I'll be blaming those carnies.....the bastages......thanks for the info. Dave

wundudnee
    (3/31/01 7:22:36 pm)
    DAP22
    There is a large area of interest in all Winchesters, the 22's are a little more affordable but in good condition you can reasonably expect 350-400 for it. A good source of information on these rifles is Ned Schwing's book Winchester 1890 and 1906. There are untold different features, calibers and variations of these guns. This book will give you all you ever wanted to know about them. Research your gun before you decide to get rid of it. You could be pleasantly surprised.

AntiqueDr
    (3/31/01 7:29:25 pm)
    Should you decide to move those Winchesters, give me a shot.

I've always got room for more Winchesters...

Purveyor of Fine Firearms to the Enlightened Few
    www.apaxenterprises.com