The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have an old 4 shot box barrel derringer pistol, made by C. Sharps and Co. in Philidelpha. This is a rimfire pistol of 30 caliber (best I can tell). It has a square but on the handle and a small tang trigger, the fireing pin rotates on the hammer as the hammer is cocked. The barrels slide off of the frame for loading and unloading. The barrels have some rust on and in them and the brass frame has some tarnish on it as well. The grip panels are made of walnut and may not be stock to the pistol. The patent date on it is 1859 and the serial number is 8XXX. These are not the best pictures but will give an idea of the pistol. Any and all help gratefully accepted. Thanks.

Attachments

· Registered
3,634 Posts
You appear to have a Model 1-A, that originally had fancy gutta-percha grips. The release button for the barrels is also a replacement.

Flayderman's Guide list value in Good Condition of $300, but yours is in pretty poor condition..

· Registered
6,391 Posts
If it is .30, I think collectors call it the Model 2, but those model designations are confusing and AFAIK they were invented by modern collectors. Some of those guns had wood grips, but they didn't look like the ones on that gun, which are obviously home made.

They made those guns in .22, .30. and .32 rimfire. .32 rimfire is available from time to time, but .30 RF is available only in collector quantity at collector prices.

Flayderman's values are pretty outdated, and I would value that gun at around $300 even with its defects. Repro Sharps grips are available from www.gungrip.com and some other places.

Jim

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.