Cabelas struggling

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by drymag, Feb 23, 2020.

1. joe45c

joe45c Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I have one of those Fat torque wrenches. they come in handy.

vizslas 1, drymag, Fletch.N and 2 others like this.
  2. Driverdan

Driverdan Well-Known Member

I agree with Sharp4590 comment about the aroma! When I was young, local sporting goods shop was Lundy's (owned and operated by Dick Lundy). Always smelled like a mix of Hoppes #9 and leather....I really miss that....

vizslas 1, Dungannon, drymag and 7 others like this.

3. ms6852

ms6852 GUNZILLA Supporting Member

I shop local here in San Antonio too many big box places with a lot of nothing or shop online with the Post Exchange to help support the troops. The one store I reallllly hate is Sportsman Warehouse. I hate that they closed shop and moved away. At one time we had Gander Mountain which is now camping world, Oshmans, Sportsman Warehouse, Sports Authority, Dicks, Academy, and Bass Pro Shop and I still visit my local gunshop.

I don't mind paying a little extra for a peace of mind and I understand as a small business they have overhead costs that most people do not understand. You just don't get the same service and interaction and knowledge. I buy something from them and it doesn't work I take it back to them and they will fix it there in the shop or they go to the trouble of dealing with the shipping to the manufacturer. The fact that I can take any gun I have purchased from them and they will accept and offer a fair trade so that I can buy something more expensive and pay the difference is good for me. I need a physical store where the employee knows what they are talking about and not trying to convince me that a .243 Winchester is not a 6mm round but a magnum and that the .308 is more powerful than the .30-06 with lesser recoil.

Dungannon, drymag, rawright54 and 5 others like this.
  4. 2A-Jay

2A-Jay Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I buy my reloading consumables either at Sportsman's Warehouse or Bimart. ocasionally I will buy from the Wally world in Longview WA. Powders I mostly buy at Bimart seems they usually have the powders I use on sale. For on Line shopping for Reloading it will be Midway or Amazon (hardware only).

Dungannon, drymag and Fletch.N like this.
  5. jim brady

jim brady Well-Known Member

Don't shop much Bass Pro or Cabellas. Most of my gun stuff is Sportsmans. Bass Pro and Cabellas are too hoity-toity for me. I did buy my wife her Kimber at Bass Pro because they had a terrific sale on them ($450 for the Stainless 9mm Micro with laser sights). Buying it was a PITA because of the jerk employee doing the paperwork was snotty, but he won't have to worry about having to take any of my filthy money any time in the near future.

drymag, Fletch.N, mudman35962 and 3 others like this.
  6. tuckerd1

tuckerd1 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Moderator Supporting Member

I used to buy fishing and camping gear from Cabelas and Bass Pro. Never bought a gun from either. Never saw one that I thought was not overpriced.

drymag, Fletch.N, djthumper and 3 others like this.
  7. Designer

Designer Well-Known Member

The closest Cabelas to me is in Minnesota, and I've stopped there several times, but never bought anything. There is a Bass Pro withing 50 miles of me, but I've spent less than $50 there. Everything is so expensive.

drymag, Fletch.N and jim brady like this.
  8. jim brady

jim brady Well-Known Member

The thing that struck me abo Bass Pro the first time I went there - the expensive store decorations. If you look around at the giant fish tanks, stuffed animals on the walls - you have to figure you are going to pay for all of that crap in hiked-up prices. Most of what they carry are clothes or doo-dads.

The other thing are the people in the gun/shooting sections. Very few know what they are talking about and they are offended when you ask a question about anything. Odds are that if you ask for something they won't have a clue what you are talking about anyway.

joe45c, drymag, johnsxj and 3 others like this.
  9. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Our Cabelas had some good old boys that had good knowledge about guns. Not any more. In the gun library they act like you are bothering them when you ask a question. They are also rude. I filed a complaint with their head office. I don't know if it did anything as I quit going there. My family spent $10,000 there the year before. They lost all that business.

joe45c, drymag, Fletch.N and 3 others like this.
  10. mudman35962

mudman35962 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

a long time ago i spent a lot of money with Cabelas. then they started to go bad. no more. there are better places with more stuff at decent, prices to buy from. i did buy a great shotgun from the store in south Michigan. i had to go to Higgens lake there to clean out the family cottage, stopped on the way back to Florida. picked up every shotgun on the floor racks. maybe 150 guns. after finding 5 then just one went to checkout. the sales guy says oh..there is a case with this, and off he goes. hard plastic case with all the chokes, choke wrench, cloth sleeves for each part of the gun. [three piece breakdown]. H&K over under 12 ga maybe never fired $850 book at the time was over $1500. yes i am happy. should have bought the Greener also. just not thinking.

rick

joe45c, drymag, kpic and 2 others like this.
  11. RichR

RichR Well-Known Member

I do find that sales staff is snotty after Bass Pro bought them. I always liked Cabelas, but now, not so much. Have a Murdocs across the street, lots of gun stuff!!

12. Fletch.N

Fletch.N Well-Known Member Supporting Member

The Cabelas near me has really gone downhill since BP bought them. Seems like nothing stays the same. I’m getting to old for everything to keep changing. I really like my rut I live in.

gvw3, drymag, Boston Bill and 3 others like this.
  13. msheff

msheff Well-Known Member

I bought one gun from Cabela's in Grand Junction, Colorado. I paid more than I should have but I wanted it so I'm happy. It's an Ithaca 20ga Flues made in 1911.

drymag likes this.
  14. SilasW

SilasW Well-Known Member

Never been in a Cabelas, Bas Pro one time. I don't visit their websites either. Both have stores about and hour and a half away.
    I buy powder and primers locally. Most everything else come from Midway, Natchez, Brownell's or Sportsman's Guide.

drymag likes this.
  15. kpic

kpic Well-Known Member

I'm frugal which means I don't shop at the big stores. Look at what they have invested in the fancy store front. It is not for me, YMMV.

drymag likes this.