Cabelas struggling

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by drymag, Feb 23, 2020.

1. CCHolderinMaine

CCHolderinMaine Garandaholic Supporting Member

They also have big buying power.
    Lots of trashing of Cabela's in this thread.
    Each has their own experience. Mine has been quite different. I've purchased dozens of new firearms from them (used gun library at my local store is crazy priced). I've purchased 10's of thousands of rounds of ammo.
    Yes, I have to shop and buy on sale. That's my hobby instead of reloading :) But when you hit those sales, you get incredible buys.
    I put my whole life on their credit card too. 1%-5% back in points. I've got a grand saved up now, I've bought over 5 grand of free stuff in the last decade.
    That all being said. BPS takeover has been a dramatic downturn. Very little promos on guns now and less on ammo.

drymag likes this.
  2. JRK57

JRK57 Well-Known Member

I used to go to BP before the Cabelas opened up, when I found out the prices at Cabelas we’re 10-20% lower than BP, i mostly stopped going there. Then BP bought Cabelas, and about a year later it all went down hill. Now I never go to BP, and rarely go to Cabelas, only when I need/want something right away will I go there.

Rarely is there a sale there that excites me, and the gun selection online looks impressive until you look to see if it’s in stock, but they are always out of stock in-store and online at BP, and most of the time at Cabelas.

It’s very depressing watching good stores (even though they are expensive) go away, giving way to political correctness and the liberal media. Cabelas used to be the Premier Hunting / Fishing store, now it’s not much better than any other store.

drymag likes this.

3. kpic

kpic Well-Known Member

Do they pass on the big buying power is the question?

I do right well saving by buying ammo or firearms online. OTOH, where I live is 20 miles from list price Louie the LGS. However, there are 6 FFLs less than 15 miles who will receive for me.

BPS took advantage of the economic turn down; they bought up a lot of boat manufacturers. But, it is just business.

drymag likes this.
  4. CCHolderinMaine

CCHolderinMaine Garandaholic Supporting Member

They sure do....but you have to buy when they do.
    They will also serve as a generic ffl to buy firearms online. They are not cheap ($35), but you can use points and pay nothing.
    Again, I'm happy with Cabela's, BPS has only made it worse.

drymag likes this.
  5. rcairflr

rcairflr Well-Known Member

I use to be extremely happy with Cabelas. Since BPS took over, I don't see the sales anymore. As such, I hardly ever go there anymore.

drymag, kpic, JRK57 and 1 other person like this.
  6. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

My big grip is the cook county tax. I used to buy all my ammo there. Now with the 5 cent a round tax I don't buy any. The $25 tax on firearms unless its super deal I pass and go to my LGS down the street out of Cook County.

drymag likes this.
  7. rcairflr

rcairflr Well-Known Member

Ouch......
    No doubt that has decreased the crime rate in Chicago....(OK, sarcasm OFF)

drymag and CCHolderinMaine like this.
  8. kpic

kpic Well-Known Member

I buy for brass and blasting ammo. I'm a firm believer in shooting skills go stale faster than a piece of fresh bread.

I use local FFLs to receive as they are closer. Plus, the nearest Cabellas is over an hour and a half from me and the nearest BPS is about the same..

IMO, it is how far will BPS change Cabellas business model. I have a few Cabellas fishing poles I bought in the 1990s, it is all opinion and mine is unless one is throwing serious $$; Cabellas sells some of the best bass or fly poles made for the $$ or I've ever used.

IMO, you said it best. When they were closer, they were hard to beat.. Times change.

drymag and rcairflr like this.
  9. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

The parent company, Bass Pro Shop, in my experience, is no fun to buy a gun from. A few years ago I bought several from them and the experience was stupid.

They included page after page requiring reading and signatures to just complete the sale. The Government (FED and CA) were a couple pages and their company pages were many more "cover-your-ass" disclaimers. It took a good hour to complete the paper work. And rather than them entering the data, they forced me to use their crummy terminal to type in the data. Then there wert the multiple supervisor's review of all the paperwork. I have bought a lot of guns over the past 35 years and these Bass Pro Shop experiences were the absolute worst. Cabellas, if it is an arm of Bass Pro Shop, will more than likely be as onerous to buy guns from. I gave up on buying guns at high prices from Bass Pro Shop! (there is no Cabellas anywhere close to me).

LDBennett

drymag likes this.
  10. ScrapMetal

ScrapMetal Well-Known Member

I've never bought a gun at Bass Pro but a couple of years ago I did buy one from the local Cabellas. The description of your purchase pretty much mirrors what I went through (except mine took an extra half hour or so).

Years ago Cabellas was a great place to shop/buy. Over the years, as they got bigger, their prices kept creeping up and up until the point where I could easily find better deals elsewhere. I believe Bass Pro bought out Cabellas in order to take out their main competition and will slowly eliminate or rename remaining outlets as the years go by.

JMHO

-Ron

drymag likes this.
  11. Hovannes

Hovannes Well-Known Member

No Cabelas or Bass Pro Shops for me. The local Ace Hardware and Sportsman's Warehouse have what I want at better prices.

drymag likes this.
  12. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

Based on a media story I watched, what happened to Cabellas was a corporate raider. He bought into the company and forced or coerced the board to sell Cabellas. He made a huge profit from the stock price boost with the news of the companies combining, and left the scene. That ruined the small mid-western town where the Cabellas corporate was located. Virtually everyone in the town lost their job as Bass Pro Shop took over the management and closed the Cabellas headquarters.

Bass Pro Shop's board of directors jumped on the chance to buy a competitor, killing off its management structure. That is what happens in the corporate world of today. There is no compassion, just greed.

LDBennett

vizslas 1, Dungannon, drymag and 2 others like this.
  13. JRK57

JRK57 Well-Known Member

Whatever goes up must come down, sooner or later it will be BassPro's time. Unfortunately its the employee's will suffer the most from the corporate greed. This is why I'll no longer work for a large corporation. If the company I work for ever gets bought out, I'll turn in my notice the very next day..

drymag likes this.
  14. drymag

drymag Well-Known Member

Speak to the store manager, not the gun manager. Nohting like a down hill spanking. The gun manager should have been aware. The next time, go on line to voice your complaint at HQ.

ScrapMetal and jim brady like this.
  15. Arteest

Arteest Well-Known Member

I have a Cabela’s credit card and therefore am in the “Club”. I’ve been noticing the emails I’ve been getting are from Bass Pro without the Cabela’s name. This may be coming to an end for me. Sportsmen’s Warehouse will be on my list.

vizslas 1 likes this.