Cabelas struggling

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by drymag, Feb 23, 2020.

1. tuckerd1

tuckerd1 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Moderator Supporting Member

Until BP shuts them down. First, Gander Mtn, then Cabelas. Who's next?

shootbrownelk and ysacres like this.
  2. Bake_Lite

Bake_Lite Member

There might just be too big of a store difference for bass pro to handle them

I love both stores though! Cabelas might be the best with bass pro a close second.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2020
    RichR and shootbrownelk like this.

3. Patches

Patches Well-Known Member

The closest Cabelas to me is in Hamburg, PA and it's a bit of a drive to get there. When the place first opened I went there and besides the massive numbers of potential customers the thing that hit me was the obvious cost of business overhead they had. I do not have a business degree but I marveled at the physical infrastructure they had. Didn't buy anything because the prices were too high. In the following years I visited - but less and less often although one of my favorite hiking places to access the Appalachian Trail was just a few miles up the road and the Hawk Mt. Sanctuary was another place I visited often was within the area. Then, I found it a drag to visit the store as the prices just got higher and the employees, that had been so friendly, were suddenly surly and unfamiliar with the stores inventory. And - the store was becoming FILTHY; the food court looked like a platoon of Gengis Khans Mongols had stopped by for a feed and to kick over the tables of the conquered village. The merchandise was, in many cases, literally thrown on the racks. I felt sorry for the fish in the aquariums.
    I have not been to this store in years now and I wonder what condition it is in these days. Should probably stop in someday.

ysacres likes this.
  4. V509

V509 Well-Known Member

I travel every week for my job, ok because of corona I have been home 10 days.... anyway, I have been in over 40 Cabelas stores. Since Bp has ruined them I only go to the bargain cave and gun library. Most bargain caves are gone. It used to be gun library employees loved to chat and interact with customers, now they tend to sit behind the desk and act annoyed when asked a question
    I have stopped going through the reloading area as there seems to be no longer any sale items. I will gladly pay list price at LGS. Not at a big box store
    Bass pro took a decent gun store and destroyed it. Most of their fish tanks are cloudy, real exception is the Hammond IN store, they keep their fish tanks in excellent condition
    I avoid Sportsman’s and Dicks as I only look at used guns...nothing to see here folks

5. sharps4590

sharps4590 Well-Known Member

Said it before..never bought a firearm from either one and I can about guarantee I won't. Only thing I ever bought much of was fly tying material at the Sydney, Nebraska store. Both have so precious little I'm interested in and that liitle bit is overpriced. Either store is at least two hours from me and my experience in the gun library is precisely the opposite of v509's. I was never in one where I was treated as more than an annoyance and looked at like I couldn't afford a box of 22 ammo. And in the name of all that is sacred, don't try to explain any proof marks. You'll be told exactly how stupid you are. It cost the store in Hazelwood, Mo. over 10K in sales over about 3 years. That store doesn't even get a drive by from me anymore. I haven't been in 40 stores but I have been in over 20.

shootbrownelk and ysacres like this.
  6. shootbrownelk

shootbrownelk Well-Known Member

They're too BIG and full of clothes for me. The overhead must be killing them. I too have a Cabela's club card. I may go with the Sportsman's warehouse credit card depending on what they have for cash back on purchases.

7. bluesea112

bluesea112 Well-Known Member

I miss the days when Bass Pro was catalog sales only and their prices were dirt cheap. Now days Cabelas and Bass Pro are the most expensive in town next to Dicks. Academy has the best price on guns.

shootbrownelk, tuckerd1 and Shooter45 like this.
  8. AStahl

AStahl Member

It doesn't help either that other retailers can undercut them on similar items and they can't compete. When our Cabelas opened in my city, I was so excited. Store was packed for weeks. Now it is empty. Almost everybody looked at their prices and realized they get the same item from Walmart, by walk in, not online ordering. I remember there was some camping cookware I was eyeing and I priced checked it against Walmart, which had it in stock at the store by me, $20 cheaper. On firearms, you either get two kinds of people at the counter. Young guys that know nothing about what your talking about, and the older guys who do, but there are so few of them there at any time to help you and instruct the younger employees. Ours also has the problem used firearms and vintage/C&R stuff is overpriced. Store got in several Schmidt Rubin 1911 carbines and rifles. Stocks were banged and discolored, rust and pitting here and there, and I can only imagine the condition of the bores if I could have taken a good look...…..$500 a piece. I can get a good condition K31 for that at my local gun show and have my pick off the rack.

shootbrownelk likes this.
  9. sharps4590

sharps4590 Well-Known Member

Eh...I don't shop at any of them anyway, except Academy as a last resort because they're the only one in town. It's 2 to 2 1/2 hours to either BP or Cabela's and the odds of any of the three mentioned having anything that interests me, that I'd be willing to pay their price for, is as likely as me striking oil on our place. Dick's I wouldn't go in on a bet.

shootbrownelk and joe45c like this.
  10. Slowalkintexan

Slowalkintexan Well-Known Member

Big Bend in Texas, Michigan’s Gold Coast,
    I don’t have either near me,,,, I thin a new Cabelas opened about 70 miles away,,,,but within 7 miles both north and south I have two ACE hardware, one stocks just ammo at killer prices, and the other is a full gun store, and has the prettiest young lady who knows guns, and I mean, she knows guns.
    Also about 20 miles there is a Dunhams which has great ammo prices, and the gun manager always seems to have a sale on just he gun I’m looking at......he is co corrupt, Lol, I buy every time.

shootbrownelk, Dungannon and joe45c like this.
  11. Clipper

Clipper Well-Known Member

We have both an Academy and a Gander Dung hill, I do shop at Academy on occasion, this one does carry a few different pistol powders and primers, but my local supplier is still in business, and I prefer trading insults with an old friend anytime..Ken is a crusty old fart. but Anne is a doll..love 'em both, and their prices are reasonable, I do have to drive about 20 miles one way though. Gander is just a couple miles West of my house, on I-40, try to pass quickly, don't ever want to stop...New Owner made a statement that any Trump supporter need not buy from him...I am complying with his wishes.

12. jwdurf

jwdurf Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I have a bass pro about 7 miles from me, rarely step inside that place. SW is about a mile further away , far better prices and they will let you handle the guns under supervision. I did buy a gun online from a Cabela's in Noblesville Indiana this year, I've been looking for a Sako A II in .243 for a long time, one cane up on Cabela's gun library at a good price and they shipped it to my local Bass Pro at no charge. Did the paperwork at my local store, pretty seamless transaction. The rifle was beautiful too. I owe you all pics of a couple of acquisitions i made while I was offline. Maybe tomorrow....

13. fisherman346

fisherman346 Active Member

That made me think we have a Dunhams next to a Rural King here and Dunhams is always about 1/3 higher in the gun department than Rual King on the same products at that.

shootbrownelk likes this.
  14. fisherman346

fisherman346 Active Member

I noticed that they do have a lot of junk in their store some quality items but enough junk and high prices that I don`t go running to get their. we have a Gander Out Doors even closer that a better shooting department and some better prices and no gun locks on the guns.

15. Hovannes

Hovannes Well-Known Member

Sportsmans Warehouse is in my town. So far it's a good place to do business as is the local ACE hardware store(ammo & reloading components only at the ACE.)