The Firearms Forum banner

Calcium impregnated AR-15 rifles, never lube again!

2K views 19 replies 12 participants last post by  ysacres 
#1 ·
Has anyone bought a rifle or upper that is impregnated with calcium so that you never need lube your AR-15? A friend at work is buying an upper and asked me if I knew anyone with firsthand knowledge. I might be interested in one or two myself...

https://www.andersonrifles.com/how-rf85-works/

#5 ·
If this stuff is so great, why hasn't anybody made an engine out of it?

#6 ·
Ok, this question is right up my alley. This is what I do for a living and I've been in the field for 25 years and hold a certification from a global society of lubrication engineers.

When I see something like this come along as I have several times, I wonder why did someone feel the need to develop it in the first place?

Are the prices of quality gun lubricants skyrocketing in price?
Is it just too troublesome to spray your upper components with a light lube or CLP?

So they say they want to eliminate the need for a lubricant.

Well, what does a lubricant do anyway?
A lubricant has several functions. First and foremost, it reduces friction between two moving surfaces. This is Tribology 1.0
Well, also a lubricant helps cool the surfaces, collects and suspends contamination and inhibits rust and corrosion.

Why would you want to take that away from your AR upper?

The bearing test that they showed is irrelevant to how an AR upper works.
The bearing, if lubricated would start in what we call "boundary lubrication" then as speed and load increases, move to a "mixed film" regime and then to "hydrodynamic" state.

These are shown by the Stribeck Curve

An upper in an AR 15 stays only in the boundary lubrication regime. The simple back and forth motion of the bolt does not provide any other means for a lubricant to work. Thus the bearing example does not even represent how a lubricant or lack of lubricant would work in an AR
upper

In boundary lubrication you will always have the highest friction coefficient and thus higher wear is always possible. A good lubricant is essential to not only reduce friction but to also do the other functions I listed above. No "nano" wonder calcium impregnated metal can take the place of some inexpensive light lubricant.

While calcium is used as part of many common lubricant additive packages, it simply cannot take the place of using a quality lubricant.

Why do they market things like this? Obviously to make a profit.
I have nearly a 1/2 dozen ARs and lots of other auto loading firearms. I spend about $10 per year on lubricants and these lubricants also prevent rust and corrosion .

I talk to my clients often about what we call the 5 rights of lubrication to promote better reliability programs in some of the industrial locations I work at.

1. The right type of lubricant
2. The right quality
3. The right amount
4. In the right place
5. At the right time (intervals)

Sorry for such a long post, but I just wanted to share my 2 cents.

#7 ·
Ok, this question is right up my alley. This is what I do for a living and I've been in the field for 25 years and hold a certification from a global society of lubrication engineers.
Sorry for such a long post, but I just wanted to share my 2 cents.
But you didn't get down to the molecular level...:cool:

:p

#8 ·
I have a two Anderson lowers and I lube one of them. I saw the ad but didn't go with it. Not because I know any better, but I came from that Toronado and slick 50 (drain and drive) generation and lack that kind of trust. I spray clp then follow with air compressor and blue auto shop paper towels. I don't have the Anderson upper. I have a Stoner upper on one of the Anderson lowers. My other Anderson lower is missing in action. I stuck it somewhere in the garage or storage room somewhere until I got the barrel I wanted. That lower to be found by surviving members cause I can't find it. I use the same method for my DPMS lower but on both uppers I use frog lube paste wax. After I clean the bcg and upper, I wipe it down w/ wallyworld alcohol then dry. Then I re-apply the frog lube under heat. Once it cools, I wipe 100% off. It must behave like the Anderson somewhat. But I don't shoot long durations so can't speak to that. But it sure makes cleaning an ar much easier. I also use botach.com crt tool to clean my bcg. I use heat to help wife off the bcg then soak in hoppies for a day. Then wipe it off and use alcohol and then re-apply fl.

#11 ·
Battlefield Vegas bought 1 to try-it lasted 4hrs firing full auto_On the major AR forum out there,Battlefield Vegas owner Ron,has a 30-40 page discussion of what weapons REALLY work when subjected to constant full auto rental-you'd be surprised.....For you Anderson haters out there-they have 10-11.5 Andersons that have gone over 40k rds(each) in 3 months with 1 broken bolt.The RF is stupid-lube your damn weapon.

#13 ·
I just threw that in-a lot of people on the interweb HATE Anderson and PSA...I use Anderson lowers...I mic'd my LWRC lower and one of my Andersons-the center to center of the fire control holes were off .002 on the Anderson-well within specs.Paying big bucks for fancy lowers is a waste-it's a non-stressed part.

#14 ·
I got a Anderson lower, it works and was only 65 bucks out the door. Any time a company makes a statement like that it's for money. Just like when the company I work for buys a new million dollar machine and goes they said it needs NO maintenance.......yea right. If it spins, slides, rotate, or flat out moves it needs tlc, reason a grease monkey like me still has a job. But yea can't beat 65 buck lower that works.

#19 ·
I'm still trying to figure out how calcium, the stuff that killed my last 3 coffee pots, makes it so you don't have to lube...

Reactions: zkovach
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.