The Firearms Forum banner

241 - 250 of 250 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #241
the light bulb went off last week for just a second.
i had the chamber cast out and compared it to a loaded bullet. the bullet is toooo long. touching the lands is an under statement. now i see why i had so much trouble loading this gun. [see above posts about sizing and crimping]. the solution MAY be to shorten the case a bit. so i ordered more brass. did i look back on this thread to make sure i got the correct brass? NO. the light bulb was no longer on. i just read the head stamp and got that same thing. did not go back to same supplier. dumb, dumb, dumb! all the way to stupid. there is more than one 9.3X72R brass. and they are not the same. really? yes. and i got the wrong one. so i did go back and read the beginning, went to BACO and there side by side are TWO different 9.3X72R cases. and they are different. i got the calipers out and it would take a bit of work to make the wrong one right.
ignorance [read stupid] is not bliss. it can be expensive.
the adventure continues.

rick

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
Rick,
Don't feel bad. Every person who reloads strange and uncommon cartridges has done exactly what you have . I know I certainly have , so whats the big deal ? You simply made a boo-boo.
I was making up some 6X45R from 222R Ausy . I had to leave my bench for a while and when I came back , I couldn't figure out why I was destroyng every third case. I then realized I was using 357Mag brass.

·
Premium Member
11,154 Posts
Nahhh....honest mistake. That's how pdk ended up with some more 8 X 65R Brenneke brass. Someone else did the same thing, only different....:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #244
6X45R? what is that? so many sweet girls to embrace, does it ever end? i hope not!
where do you find these new to me strange guns? i have turned into a sailor in port, "know what i mean vern?"
wait!! don't tell me. i still have so much more to do with what i have.
life is good if you love guns!

rick

8X64R Brenneke?

·
Premium Member
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #245
had to look COW. 8X64 R Brenneke? no. 8X64mmS Brenneke yes is that the same?
6X45R? how about 6X45mm [6mm/223] is that the same?
where do you find them? wait you just made up this stuff! or....or...

rick

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
The 6X45R is my own doing.
It started live as a 222 Rem.
Rimless cartridges don't work worth beans in a small Martini action so I added the rimed version. Well lets face it, the 222-R is not the best for hunting but pretty good for target shooting but I wanted more. The next step in evolution was to open up the 222-R to 6mm.
Now I've got some horsepower. I ordered up a set of custom reamers and started to develop my own loading data. In the mean time the 6X45/6X47 had become standardized. However the brass was no longer being made.:( The day the 357 Max brass became avable I short chambered my rifle and have been using 357 Max brass ever since.:)

·
TFF Chaplain
18,844 Posts
i got the calipers out and it would take a bit of work to make the wrong one right.
Well, at least you can trim them down. Easier to take material off than to try to put it on.;)

Reactions: howlnmad

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
My understanding is that the 8X65R Brenneke is the rimmed version of the 8X64 Brenneke. Don't know why the rimmed cartridge is longer than the rimless one. According to my trusty copy of COTW, they were introduced in 1912, and were the parent cases of the 7X64 and 7X65R, introduced five years later.
I have a 7X64 barrel with a recess cut to accept a rimmed case, which I guess qualifies as a semi-wildcat. Cases made by trimming 7X65R cases back to 2.51 inches and fireforming (shoulder angle is slightly different; no idea as to why). IMHO, top-break rifles don't handle rimmed cases well at all. Also have three wildcats based on the 7X65R.
Pretty cool to tell people who ask what I'm shooting that it's a kipplauf (kiplauf?) in 7X64R, 8X63R IMP, 6.5X63R or 7.62X63R :D.

·
Premium Member
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #249
Well, at least you can trim them down. Easier to take material off than to try to put it on.;)
yes they are bigger. in all the wrong places. yes i could trim then squeeze [reform] the body, anneal, or buy the right stuff to start with. i chose #2. just laze i guess. they may have the same name, but they are very different. more than i want to mess with.

rick

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
Maybe 9X72R Sauer and 9x72R (one of several; length ranging from 48 to 82mm)?

241 - 250 of 250 Posts