The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up the basis for my next project gun. A Savage 110E from the pawn shop for $250. Its currently chambered for 270 Win. I'm looking to change the caliber by way or a barrel swap (an E.R. Shaw fluted heavy barrel most likely) and possibly swapping out the bolt face as well if necessary. I have a Choate Ultimate Varmint stock that I took of another rifle that I plan to put this in. I'm looking for something to shoot targets at 500yds plus with reasonable groups (2-4 inches, for fun not competition). I already have rifles in 30-06, 25-06, and 308, and I would like to try something different, maybe a magnum cartridge. I reload so ammo cost isn't a major factor. A couple I was thinking of were 338-06, 7mm-08 Rem Mag, 300 Win Mag but at this point I'm wide open to suggestions.

·
Registered
5,287 Posts
I would opt for the 7mm-08 but that's just me. Wouldn't have to change the bolt either.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I would look at the 7mm and the 300wmg both good choices fior what you want.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
If you're looking at longer range-shooting, how about a .264" bore? 6.5-06, 6.5-284, 6.5x55Swede:), etc? Long-range ballistic performance is pretty sweet with the 140gr & up .264 bullets...lots of good match bullets to choose from in that diameter.

If you're up for doing the bolt-head swap, then there isn't anything wrong with the 7mm or 300 Magnums suggested either though.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would opt for the 7mm-08 but that's just me. Wouldn't have to change the bolt either.
After doing a little looking, it seems to me that the 7mm-08 is very similar to the 308. Am I correct on this?

Just wondering, Can`t the 270 do the kind of shooting you want?
The 270 probably could, but the barrel is just a standard barrel not a heavy barrel and its not in very good shape either. Its the reason I bought this gun and not one in better shape. My intention was a project from the beginning.

If you're looking at longer range-shooting, how about a .264" bore? 6.5-06, 6.5-284, 6.5x55Swede:), etc? Long-range ballistic performance is pretty sweet with the 140gr & up .264 bullets...lots of good match bullets to choose from in that diameter.
I never really thought of that before Bindernut. It may be a good possibility. I was kinda leaning toward something a little larger than what I already have but I'll have to do a little research. This might change my mind.

·
Registered
5,287 Posts
Yes, the 7mm-08 is a necked down .308.

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
How bout a heavy sporter 6BR? I have a new shilen barrel ill make you a sweet deal on.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
How bout a heavy sporter 6BR? I have a new shilen barrel ill make you a sweet deal on.
What is the 6BR? That's one I haven't heard of before.

·
TFFWPP President
13,897 Posts
I've thought about swapping mine out to a .300 win-mag. currently a .270. if a guy does that will he need to change the bolt face?

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
What is the 6BR? That's one I haven't heard of before.
6mmBR, 6mm Rem BR, 6mm Norma BR, etc.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/6mm_Norma_BR
It's a short stumpy little 6mm cartridge based on the .308x1.5".

I've never known anyone around here that's had a 6mmBR, but it's sister the 22BR (same case necked down to .224") is/was kinda popular around here for varmints. The .22BR is a little overbore, but since it's a nice "square" case it's fairly easy on brass and barrels even when it's pushed to the limit. I'd suspect the 6mmBR is even more efficient and easy on brass.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, call me crazy, but I decided to go with the 338 Win Mag. I appreciate all the suggestions. I took a look at all of them and they all sounded interesting. I'm just a bigger is better kind of guy at heart.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Nice:thumbsup:

Now don't forget the limb protector.
I shouldn't need it. With a heavy barrel and the Ultimate Varmint stock its going to weigh in over 15lbs. Should be enough weight to soak up a lot of the recoil.

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
A limbsaver and a good brake will still be your friend. Even at 15 pounds. Youll be lobbing 250+ grains of projectile at 3000+ fps. its gonna make some recoil no matter how you cut it.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
JLA, do you have any recommendations on thickness of the recoil lug I should use? The stock has plenty of room for about anything.

·
Banned
45 Posts
Have you considered the .338 Lapua? It's based on the old .416 Rigby cartridge which gives it huge cartridge volume. And the Lapua redesign of the basic Rigby cartridge (Lapua gave the case a distributed hardness from the head and web to the mouth and a thicker case web) give this case exceptional pressure resistance. Since you're a reloader, this combination of large volume and extreme pressure resistance gives you lots of room for experimenting with different loads.

And since you're interested in long range shooting, the .338 is an exceptional long-range cartridge, with the right combination of high velocity (but not so high that you get excessive barrel wear) and bullet mass to maximize energy at long range. It's a very popular round for long range sniper duties in many of the world's militaries. Indeed, a Brit sniper holds the record for a double kill at over 1.5 MILES using the .338 Lapua.

Ammunition is readily available, so you can easily get cases and bullets in many different weights which will let you handload and experiment to your heart's content. Just about the only cartridge that will consistently beat the Lapua is the .50 BMG, which would not be an option for the gun you're building. But .338 Lapua (as would be expected) has a hefty recoil. A well fitting stock with an effective recoil pad, plus an effective muzzle brake are important, if not essential.

Good luck and good shooting.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Have you considered the .338 Lapua? It's based on the old .416 Rigby cartridge which gives it huge cartridge volume. Since you're a reloader, this gives you lots of room for experimenting with different loads.

And since you're interested in long range shooting, the .338 is an exceptional long-range cartridge, with the right combination of high velocity and bullet mass to maximize energy at long range. It's a pretty popular round for long range sniper duties in many of the world's militaries. Indeed, a Brit sniper holds the record for a double kill at over 1.5 MILES using the .338 Lapua. Ammunition is readily available, so you can easily get cases and bullets and handload to your heart's content.
I would have loved to do 338 Lapua but the base on the 338 Lapua cartridge is to large for the bolt on the older 110s. From what I found, it can be done but safety can be a major issue. As much as I would have liked to do it, I'd rather keep all my body parts intact. Its just not worth the chance to me.

base on the 338 Lapua cartridge is to large for the bolt on the older 110s Edit: My brain was thinking faster than I could type.

·
Banned
45 Posts
I would have loved to do 338 Lapua but the base on the older 110s is to large for the bolt on the older 110s. From what I found, it can be done but safety can be a major issue. As much as I would have liked to do it, I'd rather keep all my body parts intact. Its just not worth the chance to me.
Watta wimp! ;-)

No, in all seriousness keeping your body parts intact needs to be your #1 priority. I was not aware of the bolt head limitations/issues. Good luck with your build. Sounds fun.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts