The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I bought my Garand and 03A3, I’m thinking of shooting the National Matches at Camp Perry in August.

I last shot DCM Garand matches with simulated 200 and 300 reduced targets at 100 yds at a club I belonged to in the 1980s, maybe 8-10 matches, when I was in my late 20s, and always wanted to shoot at Camp Perry but never managed when I was younger.

I was excited to see if I choose the “Course A” for the as issued Garand, as issued 03/03A3 and as issued other military its only 30 rounds, 10 slow prone, 10 standing to prone rapid, 10 slow off hand, so no sitting/kneeling that I don’t like...all 200 yds.

UNTIL I tried my first prone dry fire practice tonight in my living room😳

This 62 year old out of shape body can’t even contort into any kind of sight picture in the sling😡. And my back is killing me now just from trying...

So I either have to try to either get into shape, or try to stretch my back and neck enough to be able to shoot, or else request to use the sitting/kneeling in place of prone🤨

I remember I struggled a little even back then with prone and sitting because I had a back operation in high school so the spine didn’t flex as much as it should that way even in my 20s....it didn’t get any more flexible in 40 more years.

Oh well, it’s not like I’d expect to win anything, I didn’t back then either😎

It will just be fun to be on a firing line again if I do it...

I may need some advice from some of you old NM shooters, especially if you do any special exercises to prepare or anything...

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
To be young again. As we get older it is harder and harder to flex. You can try to streach and exersise. May I wish you the best.

·
Premium Member
14,571 Posts
Polish, I don't know your weight but losing 30 lbs. made EVERYTHING a lot easier, even crawling under cars to work on them. 'Course I never had a back surgery....my back is just naturally crap....lol!

Reactions: joe45c

·
Registered
8,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think I’m rethinking the whole process. 😉

I believe there’s a range about 1/2 hour away that‘s CMP affiliated, I believe they have a 200 yd range, maybe I’ll look them up and start back up slowly instead of going whole hog into the National Matches after not competing in Service Rifle in 35 years or so...

But I’d like to hear from anybody that shoots at Perry...

·
Registered
8,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well the good news is Midway has bullets finally, but limit of 200 each. I probably should have read this before placing the order but I have 200 150 gr fmjbt and 200 168 gr match bullets on the way. My plan was to use the 150s for practice.

When I bought my Garand in November they still had Garand match ammo 200/$184 and I bought a case. I’m planning to save that for matches.

But they do not list any 06 ammo now, so I doubt they will issue any.

But they still do list match 7.62x54 ammo available but for $250/200. That should shoot well with my m39 Sako if I decide to take it as my third rifle instead of buying a P17. I just need to pick up a 1907 sling for it and practice with it.

I was surprised when I read the 2020/21 rules that I didn’t have to use “correct” slings on a foreign vintage rifle, I could use a 1907 or M1 sling instead.

And I hear you about shooting the match “dirty.” They used to call that firing “fouling shots,” don’t know if they still do.

Back in my IPSC days we detail stripped/inspected/cleaned the 1911s every Friday night during the season and shot the final “tune up” practice on Saturday for a Sunday match and left it dirty. We were shooting 1000 rds/wk in practice, plus the match. 300x3, about 100 or so on Saturday (50 with our “match ammo” to test that too...)

Most malfunctions not directly attributable to ammo or a damaged mag happened with a “clean” pistol...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts