Camping in Montana - getting there, and getting around armed

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by Prizefighter, Apr 27, 2009.

1. Prizefighter

Prizefighter New Member

So I'm going on a camping trip to Montana this summer, and I've got two main questions to start. Firearm is a Springfield XD.

First, I'm flying there, and I need to contact the TSA about how to get approved to transport it. I'm sure there's some crazy hoops to jump through, but I also have to think I'm not the first person to ever want to transport my firearm with me. Advice? I'm sure it will have to be checked, probably have to be disassembled or at least locked, probably be an extra fee involved...

Second, there's the matter of how best to carry once I'm there. I'll be doing a fair amount of hiking and such, and my regular hip holster seems like it would get annoying to carry on multiple all day treks, get hung on branches, "frighten the horses," etc. Maybe a shoulder harness, perhaps? If I can find one that won't bust my wallet...

Thanks for any advice. :)

Edit: Oh, and the places I've checked all say that, yes, Montana and NC have a reciprocal agreement with their CCW permits. Always glad to have double and triple checks, though.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2009
  2. Islandboy

Islandboy New Member

Last week the rule was gun declared, in luggage, NOT loaded, in locked plastic box.
    Ammo seperate box, also locked.
    Armoured type box, don't know the brand but no doubt will have to be shown to ticket agent upon check in.
    However, Do not take my word for it, you can ask 3 diff Homeland security people and get 3 diff answers.
    Ask 6 and don't carry if an even split:):):(

3. Prizefighter

Prizefighter New Member

According to the website, sounds like the basic idea is what you said. Gun in a locked box, ammo in another locked box, and declared at check in. I'm going to have to pick out new cases, since I doubt what came with the gun is going to pass muster.

The only other obstacle would be whether or not the airline itself prohibits firearms in even checked luggage. But, I have yet to order my ticket, so I'll have to wait until I see what airlines come up before looking for the answer.

4. Prizefighter

Prizefighter New Member

Suppose I'm going to head to some shops in the area this week and investigate holster solutions. I'll let you know how it goes. Anything to watch out for? Maybe the minimum I can expect to pay for something decent?

Edit: Sorry about the double post. Wasn't paying enough attention and didn't remember I was the last post.

Edit 2: Picked this up from a local shop.
    http://www.blackhawk.com/product/Vertical-Shoulder-Holster,791,34.htm
    Very comfortable, and should fit the bill.

Last edited: May 6, 2009
  5. kevinleif37

kevinleif37 New Member

transporting:

no extra fees...firearm is to be in an approved lockable case, and locks your using must be TSA approved...and it doesn't hurt to disassemble the gun too (side seperate from the frame)...you may NOT keep the mags loaded, but i've heard that if you put a piece of tape over the top of the mag/very top round, you might get by...ammo CAN be in the same case as the firearm, but you must have it a seperate box (example: the box the ammo came in-yes, this means the cardboard box the ammo was sold to you in), so the box inside a box type of deal works...most importantly, DECLARE IT/THEM at ticketing when you check in and get your ticket-i've been airport police before, and that's something that's not misunderstood or excusable if not followed.

6. 45nut

45nut Well-Known Member

I always carry a firearm and declare in a loud voice at the counter "I have a firearm to declare" The last time I flew was March 08 and I had it in a hard plastic carrying case with a master lock on the handle keeping it closed. like this

My ammo was in the original box in the other suitcase. Maybe use 2 of those and put the gun in one and ammo in the other.

7. zfk55

zfk55 New Member

Are you flying in to Glacier Park International?

zfk55

8. GoodOl'12gauge

GoodOl'12gauge New Member

I carry on horses often. A crossdraw works well, But ive found that that my shoulder is the most comfortable and conveient way. And when i ride I carry my 7 1/2 saa .45 long colt it works quite well