The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello firearms forum, I have a question about the value of a shotgun i inherited. I have been told it is semi valueable have been told anywhere from a few hundred to more than a thousand. Maybe these are wrong, just not sure.

The gun I'm asking about is I think a 1972 20 gauge browning shotgun, made in belgium with gold inlay. It is in good condition but the gold inlay has faded and is almost gone. Its a semiautomatic, holds 3 shells and it cocks by pushing the barrel back towards the stock. The barrel moves, not a forestock.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Need pictures, please.

By the way, it is much easier to cock the gun by pulling the charging handle, located on the right side of the bolt, back. You are correct that in firing the barrel moves back, taking the bolt with it. The bolt locks to the rear with the barrel returning to the forward position. As the barrel goes forward the carrier lifts a round from the magazine into the path of the bolt, which is released by the presence of the shell. The bolt then comes back into battery, stripping the shell and inserting it into the chamber portion of the barrel. This will continue until the rounds in the magazine are exhausted, at which time the bolt stays to the rear.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
From your description what you thought was gold inlay is just some gold lacquer rubbed into the lettering and scrollwork. It adds no value to the gun.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you guys I'll take a few pictures and post them. I'm not really intersted in selling unless it would be a very substantial amount, I'm just trying to get an idea of what i have.

Goody, yes that is how i load and cock usually. Just wasn't sure if the barrel-cocking was something that is unusual. Thought it might add value.

wonderwhippet, I wasn't sure if it was inlay or lacquer. I have a Know it all cousin who insisted that is was gold inlay.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Thanks for the pictures. Taking into consideration the cracks in the stock where it meets the receiver, the considerable corrosion of the bolt, and the overall appearance, I would place a value of around $300-350.

·
Banned
5,428 Posts
I'm not sure it would actually sell for even 300 with the cracks in the stock. If the bore has pits and corrosion also considering the corrosion on the bolt it won't be worth very much.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts