The Firearms Forum banner

Can anyone help identify this rifle??

2K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  tuckerd1 
#1 ·
This is a photo of my grandfather in the late 1930s. He was part of a marksman club for the steel mill he worked for. I never met him, but I'd like to find one of these rifles if I could only figure out what it is. I know it's probably not possible, but hoping some one can possibly identify it. I was told once that he was a fan of Marlin rifles, but that's all I know. He is on the bottom right. Thanks to anyone who might help!
Photography
People Family History Team

See less See more
#4 · (Edited)
Yep it's a Win, 52. And i think 2 of the other guys in the front row have 52s too. As far as finding one to buy, They are out there on the net. Depending on condition you should find one in decent condition from anywhere $800.00 to 1K. Of course some go way more than that.They made different models; pre A, A, B, C, D, and E. Usually the Bs are the most common and affordable.

#6 ·
Wow thanks! That was fast. I'd have never thought it was a .22, but I'm no expert. Any way to tell which sub model it is?
Hard to tell cause i can't see the end of his bolt clearly enough. But if i had to guess i'd say it's 52B or 52A. The B models came out in i think 1936 to 54. The pre A models usually had finger slots in the forearm. Some As did too, but some didn't. but the Bs didn't have those grooves. Your Grandfather's doesn't have any grooves. Looks like my B model stock. but if you could see the bolt it would narrow it down better.

#7 ·
It's either a Pre-A, 1919-1935, or a 52A, 1935-1938, hard to tell from a pic. The letter suffix started when changes were made, like the speedlock trigger, Sporter models, etc. JMO, the Model C has the best trigger. Miroku in Japan has been making quality Winchester reproductions, and the 52 is one of them.

#13 ·
They were and are still very good rifles. Winchester used the marketing term for them "The winchester model 52 is the King of the .22s". probably a little over the top cause Remington was making some pretty good ones too, ie the model 37 and 40x.
I've got a 40x too. I bought a 37 but sent it back to the seller because the safety was defective.

Reactions: joe45c
#14 ·
That magazine button is a dead giveaway for a Winchester. My 75T target rifle has the same. It's a bit cheaper than the 52, but still a fine shooter.

Reactions: joe45c
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.