Dismiss Notice

Please be sure to post images when you're asking what the value of your firearm(s) is. We find this to be a necessary tool when determining a value. 

Can anyone help? Need info on a Durs Egg pall mall london side by side shotgun.

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Ke56y, Apr 5, 2017.

1. Ke56y

Ke56y New Member

I recently inherited a beautiful old gun from my father in law. It is a double barrel side by side. It has "D. Egg pall mall london" engraved between the barrels and has a gold sheild on the bottom of the stock. If anyone coukd give me more info on this gun as far as how old it is and a possible value that'd be great.

Attached Files:

2. sschrad

sschrad Member

3. sharps4590

sharps4590 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Pall Mall, other than being the name of an American brand of cigarette, was one of the gun shop districts in London along with Bond St. and James St. Durs Egg is an old English maker of best guns ranking with Purdey, Boss, W.J. Jeffrey and Harris & Henry Holland among others. Without seeing proof marks the best I can do is guess a date of from the 1870's to maybe the 1890's. There should be proof marks on the water table and on the barrel flats. To find them remove the forearm and remove the barrels from the action. Good, legible pictures of all proofs will tell much. By the late 1890's the Anson & Deeley box lock along with the Purdey double underbites had pretty well written the end of the old side lever, Jones underlever, Roux and Lefaucheux actions.

Any firearm with the name Egg is desirable. How desirable I'm sorry I can't say but I believe as far as old double guns are concerned an original, authentic Egg would have fairly significant value. Whether that significance is $1,500 or $15,000 I don't know. What I do know is you have inherited a fine old piece from a very respected maker and one to be proud of. Congratulations sir.

One Shot, grcsat, joe45c and 2 others like this.
  4. Ke56y

Ke56y New Member

Does this help?

Attached Files:

5. sharps4590

sharps4590 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

It might help others more familiar with British proofs than me. Best I can tell you from those proofs is it's pre-1904 but we pretty much knew that. I do believe they're Birmingham proofs but am subject to correction. The 13 is the actual bore size but don't worry about that, it is a 12 bore and probably has 2 1/2 inch chambers.

One Shot likes this.
  6. 45Auto

45Auto Well-Known Member

Durs Egg died in 1831. I'm not sure what to make of your "D. Egg" shotgun, maybe his son or grandson?

7. Ke56y

Ke56y New Member

Not sure what you're saying sir.

8. Grizzley1

Grizzley1 Well-Known Member

I think he is saying that your gun wasn't made by Durs Egg but by one of his descendants.

9. Ke56y

Ke56y New Member

I don't know where he would get that from. D. Egg is stamped right on the barrel. His sons had their own stamps.

10. Grizzley1

His son took over the business and ran it under the Durs Egg name as did one of his grandsons, the shop on Pall Mall was in business as 'Durs Egg' up into the 1870's.

sharps4590 likes this.
  11. Ke56y

Ke56y New Member

OK. So how does that suggest the gun wasn't made by Durs?

12. Grizzley1

Because Durs went blind in 1822 and died in 1831, he'd of been dead for nearly forty years before this shotgun was made, had Durs made it, it would be a flintlock.

13. Ke56y

Ke56y New Member

How do you know the date of when the gun was made?

14. Grizzley1

Because center fire cartridges had yet to be invented when Durs was still alive and still capable of making guns.

Just because my truck says Ford on the grill does not mean Henry Ford made it, it just means it was made by a company he founded that still bears his name.

The company, 'Durs Egg, Pall Mall' was still trading under the business name 'Durs Egg, Pall Mall' until the mid 1870's.

So yes, your gun was made by Durs Egg, the business establishment, not by Durs Egg the famous gunsmith.

15. Ke56y

Ke56y New Member

I just found this. This is the exact gun I have. Made in 1830.
    So do you know around what year it was made? I'd really like to find that out?

Attached Files: