The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Consider me baffled. My father just came across this flinklock pistol and no one seems to be able to tell him what the device is for. When the frizzen is closed and you push the button on top of the frizzen it allows a small plate to remain over the pan. When you re-close the frizzen it works like a normal frizzen where sparks get thrown in the pan the usual way. What could this device for? Is there anything else you can tell me about this flintlock? Here's some pictures to help with the identification. Thank you for your help gentlemen.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thik of how the flintlock functions.. flint goes down, knocks frizen out of way and blows sparks into the pan for the flash hole.. if a metal flap is down , under the frizen.. sparks aren't as apt to make it to the pan. same with rain i guess...

maybee this was the 1800's version of a delta force amphibous assault carbine.. :)

pirate jumps out of the water pours the water out of his gun bbl, flips wish water 'resistant' pan cover out of the way and unleashes his massive single shot volley.. :)
You had my father dying with laughter over this post. He says well done.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I appreciate all the brainstorming guys. I'm stumped, my Father is stumped, and all his gun friends are stumped. It's like no one has seen this before. It's quite exciting but frustrating that we may never know who made the gun.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
FWIW, I think who made the gun and who put on that gadget may be two different people. The "thing" may well have been some inventor's idea and he just used that pistol as his "test bed." Are there any markings on the lockplate or on the barrel that could help identify the original maker or the country of origin?

Jim
I'll get proof mark pictures on Sunday but my father says there's one that consists of a triangle with a dot inside. I'm sorry but that's all I have for you until Sunday.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Here's the skinny - as someone touched on above. It is to allow the pan to be primed while the frizzen is open and the hammer down. Most flint locks when primed and 'ready' must have the hammer at half cock to carry it safely. For long storage some people think that constant strain on springs is undesirable. So - this device allows the gun to be primed for quick use, with the hammer down, frizzen open and springs relaxed. It is a rare feature, second one I know of.

French, I agree.
Ok that's wonderful information. So we know now what the use is for and you guys are pretty sure it's French, we're getting there. I'm excited! I'll still post the marking on Sunday and maybe we can get it narrowed down some more. My Dad is mulling a $1500 offer for the gun so I'll tell him to hold off. Looks like he might have a goodie.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.