The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. Sorry I really don't know anything about this gun. Can anyone tell me anything about it? I uploaded some photos of it.

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
First off, welcome to the FORUM. Can't identify it specifically, but it looks like a pin-fire revolver of European origin. Pin-fire was used mostly in French made firearms, so my best guess is that it comes from there.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
First off, welcome to the FORUM. Can't identify it specifically, but it looks like a pin-fire revolver of European origin. Pin-fire was used mostly in French made firearms, so my best guess is that it comes from there.
Could you happen to know around what year it has been made?

·
Registered
9,245 Posts
They've been around since the 1850's, some were even purchased by the Union to arm the troops during the Civil War. They were still being made and sold up to the turn of the 20th century.

Like Twice has said they were mostly made in France and Belgium.

Reactions: joe45c

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
Could you happen to know around what year it has been made?
Just guessing, from the 1860s up through the late 1880s. Many of the 19th century European made pistols had bag shaped grips like this one does. Another is thought it could be Belgian made also. They are in close proximity to France and made guns that were cheap knock-offs of all that they were copying. The Belgians made cheap guns for world markets and for here that was described as the "Hardware Store Trade". Inexpensive usually poorly made (usually inferior materials) knock-offs of higher quality firearms. It could be one of this genre'.

·
Registered
4,145 Posts
There are literally dozens of variations of the lefaucheux pin fire design.
It may be impossible to find out exactly which model it is or even if its a true lefaucheux and not a copy of one. Given the poor state that revolver is in, we may never know. View attachment 115805

1 - 8 of 8 Posts