The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
View attachment 122137 Need any help I can get . Would like to know any information you guys can provide . What branch of Miltary ? Rank ? Unfortunately This picture is all I have . This is my wife's father . Born of a Vietnamese woman . My wife does not want anything from him just to know who he is and who he was . Thanks for your help

9mmSacristan

·
Super Moderator
38,626 Posts
From what I can see in the blurry picture, his name is Hayes and that is not an American military uniform

·
Registered
749 Posts
The uniform is Army ROTC as indicated on the upper parts of lapels. The epaulet on his right shoulder indicates his rank to be 1st Sergeant. Without colors the ribbons are almost impossible to identify. If you could get a more focused image of the round badges on the lower jacket lapels you could determine a little more about him.

If you knew the color of the shoulder cord you could tell what activities he participated in during school such as Honor Guard, Rifle Team, Drill team, etc.

·
Registered
4 Posts
From what I can see in the blurry picture, his name is Hayes and that is not an American military uniform

Not American ? Really ? Could be Australian or ?

The uniform is Army ROTC as indicated on the upper parts of lapels. The epaulet on his right shoulder indicates his rank to be 1st Sergeant. Without colors the ribbons are almost impossible to identify. If you could get a more focused image of the round badges on the lower jacket lapels you could determine a little more about him.
Thank you I wil see what I can do

·
Premium Member
7,577 Posts
I agree that it's a cadet 1st sgt epaulette. I can't identify the other badges. No telling what school he was attending. Good luck.

·
Super Moderator
38,626 Posts
I saw that kinda looked like R.O.T.C. but could not really make it out, and had never seen the epaulets before, so yeah I supposed it is probably an ROTC thing. You are right about the focusing helping, also a color picture might!. The date on the bottom of the pictures looks like Mar 68, so iffin he graduated, he was probably an officer.

·
Banned
707 Posts

If you knew the color of the shoulder cord you could tell what activities he participated in during school such as Honor Guard, Rifle Team, Drill team, etc.
I believe you're right. My brother was ROTC in High School (JROTC?) at that time and his uniform looked just like that, cords and all, except that I think his had blue lapels.

Found this on the 'net.
View attachment 122149

According to this, the gentleman in the OP's photo was an R.O.T.C. officer.
View attachment 122150

·
Premium Member
13,003 Posts
Might just be a factor of wrinkles and lighting, but there appears to be a triangular shoulder patch on the right sleeve. Google Image has illustrations of various Army ROTC patches - which note the schools involved, so it might be worth a look to see if anything comes close - assuming the "patch" in the photo is indeed a patch.

·
*VMBB Senior Chief Of Staff*
25,900 Posts
Perhaps had one been able to see the individuals cover that would have served
a more positive ID than what was shown and that being things 40 years old...I was
amazed at the probes offered up...I won't even try..Chief

·
Registered
749 Posts
There is one more clue but it stumps me. The upper left ribbon he's wearing. It looks like a Civil Air Patrol ribbon. I'm not sure of that.

·
Premium Member
13,003 Posts
Try the Reserve Officers Association (www.roa.org). They also have a Facebook Page. The ROA publishes a bi-monthly journal which may have an inquiries - looking for lost buddies etc. - section. If so, you might consider posting the photo, along with what info you do have - his name and year of service, and see if that stirs some memories. Their member assistance contact is Tracey Ware at 202-646-7733.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts