The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Greetings,

I have this antique pistol shoulder holster and despite searching through myriad photos of old military style pistol holsters online, I can't identify what pistol this one is for or even its country of origin. There are no identifying markings anywhere on it except for the following code on the strap: 1ABT.5C60.

I suspect it is British, but I could be wrong, and that it is for some kind of automatic rather than a revolver due to its shape, but again I could be wrong.

Help identifying this holster much appreciated.

Pistol_Holster_FrontView_IMG_4472.JPG
Pistol_Holster_BackView_IMG_4478.JPG
Pistol_Holster_InsideFlapView_IMG_4480.JPG

·
Registered
17,000 Posts
Only "waist" holster I've ever seen using an "over the shoulder" support system instead of a waist belt, was Japanese WW2. Don't know which gun, but I'd bet it's that country.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Only "waist" holster I've ever seen using an "over the shoulder" support system instead of a waist belt, was Japanese WW2. Don't know which gun, but I'd bet it's that country.
Thanks for the guess. It may well be a 'waist holster using an over the shoulder support system,' but I think it must have been intended for either belt or shoulder strap... Did the Japanese have an automatic that big?

·
No Power Options
13,085 Posts
Japanese WWII holsters had an almost concave platter top cover almost like a plate, so don`t think it to be that. It does appear to be modified as there are way to many fasteners for a holster of a factory make up, a complicated set up if you will. I also do not think the cover snap is correct. The bottom is squared and looks like it would fit an early colt 1911. But the German air force had a similar holster for the Walther PPK prior to adding the extra magazine pouch. Hard to tell just how big the holster is without a pistol by it. Most closures were pull up and in this case its pull down and looks also to be added. Not an original shoulder rig I`m pretty sure of that.

The full sized Nambu (?) was a pretty large pistol and the receiver round, inside flap wear looks sort of like that.
A guess at best on my part.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Japanese WWII holsters had an almost concave platter top cover almost like a plate, so don`t think it to be that. It does appear to be modified as there are way to many fasteners for a holster of a factory make up, a complicated set up if you will. I also do not think the cover snap is correct. The bottom is squared and looks like it would fit an early colt 1911. But the German air force had a similar holster for the Walther PPK prior to adding the extra magazine pouch. Hard to tell just how big the holster is without a pistol by it. Most closures were pull up and in this case its pull down and looks also to be added. Not an original shoulder rig I`m pretty sure of that.

The full sized Nambu (?) was a pretty large pistol and the receiver round, inside flap wear looks sort of like that.
A guess at best on my part.
It measures roughly 2 3/8" across the bottom, 5 3/4" across the flap. I used it briefly to carry a Browning Hi-Power 9mm in the field, which fit reasonably well, though obviously not designed for that pistol.

Yes, except for the spare magazine pouch, it seemed to me to most resemble the German holsters I saw online when looking into this.

It may be worth noting, if not apparent from the photos, that the middle piece, looking at the back view photo, which is in between the brass clasps and the dual holster sliding straps, is hollow to accommodate a waist belt.

·
Banned
2,004 Posts
It has the look of a German WWII holster or possibly a post war police holster. It looks like it has has some modifications done to adapt it to it last user. Value is not great due to lack of markings and it is not a known pattern. If it were a German WWII holster it would be well marked.

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
Kindof resembles an Italian police holster. Many European police holsters used the Sam Browne style shoulder strap.
No idea what it really is.

Reactions: Big Shrek

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
What makes you say it's a "Sam Browne style" shoulder strap?
Basic style and appearance. Gives extra support besides the belt loops on the holster. It's more a "badge of office" to many foreign LEOs.

·
Premium Member
3,755 Posts
I can't tell you exactly which pistol the holster is for but I have one very similar that is German.

Mine is for a Walther Model PP in 7.65mm
PP Front.jpg PP Back.jpg

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I can't tell you exactly which pistol the holster is for but I have one very similar that is German.

Mine is for a Walther Model PP in 7.65mm
View attachment 143745 View attachment 143746
Yes! Thank you, that's it! It's raw leather, not polished up, and it's a little more elaborate with mechanical and leather loop attachments instead of permanent stitching, and the pull down flap release is in the center, but what I have is plainly a predecessor, or some kind of derivative or knock-off of that holster. Someone suggested Italian police post WWII following the German style.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
You have a postwar Austrian police holster for the 9mm Browning Hi-Power. The shape of the holster body is similar to the old WWI Austrian Steyr-Hahn M1912 holster, and so these are often mistaken for them.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You have a postwar Austrian police holster for the 9mm Browning Hi-Power. The shape of the holster body is similar to the old WWI Austrian Steyr-Hahn M1912 holster, and so these are often mistaken for them.
Many thanks!! Would you happen to have a link to any photos of that holster? It certainly sounds likely, but I'm curious what is it that makes you so certain?

Also, can you make a guesstimate what you think it might be worth?

·
Registered
7,475 Posts
To be of any value it would have to go to someone who collects THAT particular type of equipment. If it were me, I'd try some 'Military Shows' where people go to show off and sell various military items.

The problem is that people like me have vivid memories of holsters and equipment just like yours being sold by the crate for pennies. I came from a time when U.S. canvas cartridge belts sold for under $1(try to find one now for under $75). I wish you luck, and hope your holster finds a good home!

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
If you want to check further, run a google search for "post war Austrian police holster Browning Hi Power"

1 - 20 of 21 Posts