Dismiss Notice

Please be sure to post images when you're asking what the value of your firearm(s) is. We find this to be a necessary tool when determining a value. 

Can Anyone Say For Sure What Pistol This Holster Is For?

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by ForTheTimeBeing, Apr 9, 2018.

1. ForTheTimeBeing

ForTheTimeBeing New Member

Greetings,

I have this antique pistol shoulder holster and despite searching through myriad photos of old military style pistol holsters online, I can't identify what pistol this one is for or even its country of origin. There are no identifying markings anywhere on it except for the following code on the strap: 1ABT.5C60.

I suspect it is British, but I could be wrong, and that it is for some kind of automatic rather than a revolver due to its shape, but again I could be wrong.

Help identifying this holster much appreciated.

Pistol_Holster_FrontView_IMG_4472.JPG Pistol_Holster_BackView_IMG_4478.JPG Pistol_Holster_InsideFlapView_IMG_4480.JPG

Last edited: Apr 9, 2018
  2. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Only "waist" holster I've ever seen using an "over the shoulder" support system instead of a waist belt, was Japanese WW2. Don't know which gun, but I'd bet it's that country.

3. ForTheTimeBeing

Thanks for the guess. It may well be a 'waist holster using an over the shoulder support system,' but I think it must have been intended for either belt or shoulder strap... Did the Japanese have an automatic that big?

4. LIKTOSHOOT

LIKTOSHOOT No Power Options Supporting Member

Japanese WWII holsters had an almost concave platter top cover almost like a plate, so don`t think it to be that. It does appear to be modified as there are way to many fasteners for a holster of a factory make up, a complicated set up if you will. I also do not think the cover snap is correct. The bottom is squared and looks like it would fit an early colt 1911. But the German air force had a similar holster for the Walther PPK prior to adding the extra magazine pouch. Hard to tell just how big the holster is without a pistol by it. Most closures were pull up and in this case its pull down and looks also to be added. Not an original shoulder rig I`m pretty sure of that.

The full sized Nambu (?) was a pretty large pistol and the receiver round, inside flap wear looks sort of like that.
    A guess at best on my part.

5. ForTheTimeBeing

It measures roughly 2 3/8" across the bottom, 5 3/4" across the flap. I used it briefly to carry a Browning Hi-Power 9mm in the field, which fit reasonably well, though obviously not designed for that pistol.

Yes, except for the spare magazine pouch, it seemed to me to most resemble the German holsters I saw online when looking into this.

It may be worth noting, if not apparent from the photos, that the middle piece, looking at the back view photo, which is in between the brass clasps and the dual holster sliding straps, is hollow to accommodate a waist belt.

6. ForTheTimeBeing

So no one here knows anything for certain about this holster?

Any guesstimates what it might be worth?

7. Old Guns

Old Guns Well-Known Member Supporting Member

It has the look of a German WWII holster or possibly a post war police holster. It looks like it has has some modifications done to adapt it to it last user. Value is not great due to lack of markings and it is not a known pattern. If it were a German WWII holster it would be well marked.

Big Shrek likes this.
  8. ForTheTimeBeing

Do you think I can get $35 for it?

9. Bigdog57

Bigdog57 Well-Known Member

Kindof resembles an Italian police holster. Many European police holsters used the Sam Browne style shoulder strap.
    No idea what it really is.

Big Shrek likes this.
  10. ForTheTimeBeing

What makes you say it's a "Sam Browne style" shoulder strap?

11. Bigdog57

Bigdog57 Well-Known Member

Basic style and appearance. Gives extra support besides the belt loops on the holster. It's more a "badge of office" to many foreign LEOs.

12. aarondhgraham

aarondhgraham Well-Known Member

FORUM VIOLATION

PM me.

Aarond

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2018
  13. Empty_Holster

Empty_Holster Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I can't tell you exactly which pistol the holster is for but I have one very similar that is German.

Mine is for a Walther Model PP in 7.65mm
    PP Front.jpg PP Back.jpg

Big Shrek and ForTheTimeBeing like this.
  14. ForTheTimeBeing

Yes! Thank you, that's it! It's raw leather, not polished up, and it's a little more elaborate with mechanical and leather loop attachments instead of permanent stitching, and the pull down flap release is in the center, but what I have is plainly a predecessor, or some kind of derivative or knock-off of that holster. Someone suggested Italian police post WWII following the German style.

15. 45Auto

45Auto Well-Known Member

You have a postwar Austrian police holster for the 9mm Browning Hi-Power. The shape of the holster body is similar to the old WWI Austrian Steyr-Hahn M1912 holster, and so these are often mistaken for them.

Big Shrek likes this.