The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend wants to know what this is and who made it and an approx year...we dont know the caliber either...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
13,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
And some more...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Looks like a late war "Last Ditch" WW-2 Japanese Type 99 Arisaka (7.7MM). Series 40, Jinsen Arsenal (Incon Korea).
Last ditch Arisaka's are considered by many, myself included, as unsafe to fire. Neat Wall hanger tho.
Has a ground "Mum" (Top of receiver). But if numbers match, might be worth 2-3 hundred to a collector. Check the 3 numbers on bottom of bolt handle to see if they match last 3 of serial on left side receiver.
P.S. Condition despite what most would think, appears to be pretty good. Most Arisaka's were battle used and show it. Resist ANY temptations to disassemble or refinish. To do so will diminish value. Leave it AS IS.

·
Premium Member
13,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Your seeing all the markings I could find. This guy is my bug man. He brought this by with him to see if I could tell him what it was. I told him I thought it was a Japanese rifle, but I am certainly no expert on these old rifles and wanted to get your help...

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Your seeing all the markings I could find. This guy is my bug man. He brought this by with him to see if I could tell him what it was. I told him I thought it was a Japanese rifle, but I am certainly no expert on these old rifles and wanted to get your help...
Should be 3 numbers on bottom of bolt handle.
Interesting tidbit about Jinsen T-99's. The T-99 was MFG at several arsenals in "series". Each series consisted of 100K rifles. All the other arsenals MFG several series. Generally 6 or 7 series per arsenal. Which as the series numbers got higher, ran the gamot of Early war (Good quality), Mid War "Transitional" (Gradually diminishing quality), and "Last Ditch" (Very poor quality). The decrease in quality was due to several factors. Namely the increased difficulty in getting war materials into Japan. Allied bombings of Japanese factories. And the Japanese draft, which drafted most of their skilled labor force into the military.
But the Jinsen Arsenal produced only ONE series. Which included all 3 of the afore mentioned variations. While there were several hundred thousand rifles made at all other arsenals. Jinsen made less than 100K.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Looks like you can see where the rising sun crest was ground off the top of the chamber. I have one once that still had the sun . . . wish I had it now :eek:

·
Premium Member
13,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Do the serial numbers on the bolt match the receiver? Worth more if so...
I dont know, I just took some pics of it and he took it with him. He just told me he cant get the bolt out.

·
Registered
18,034 Posts
i thought so. i have a decent collection of jap rifles from start to last ditch.. some 38/99/44 but am at work without one in my hand..

glad the rememberer is working. :)

·
Premium Member
13,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
pics are so dark, and my screen's so small I can't tell. i can barely make out any fine detail on the bolt :)
Well, my pics are normally much better than this. I didnt spend any time on them. My bug guy showed up today with the gun asking questions and I just shot a few pics and thought I would give him some general info. It a wall hanger anyhow.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts