The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well I cannot get the photo to load but the case has a big bulge at the bottom close to the rim.

I was sorting through some brass I cleaned getting ready to do some reloading and I found this. Looks like a discharge while not in full battery? Way do you guys think.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
was it a Glock you shot it from? if so, that's normal, you need a Redding GRX push thru die.

or a new barrel... like a Lone Wolf, Bar sto, etc...

.40 cal?

look at the primer, if it has a rectangular stamp, it's likely fired from a Glock

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's a m&p 9mm, using a storm lake barrel. This is the only bulge over ever seen, probably spent 5000 rounds through it

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
wow, those are two variables I would not have suspected right off the bat.

any pics? would help a bunch identifying the issue. Are you primarily shooting reloads or new stuff?

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
Woah! yeah, that was definitely not all the way in the barrel when it went boom! surprised it didn't rupture completely.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Check for a bulge in the barrels chamber. May have been an over charge of powder. But does look like it wasnt fully into the chamber???

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
the storm lake barrel did have an extremely tight chamber( i couldn't use my lead bullets), so I had sent it to storm lake to open the chamber up a little more. I have no idea when this case happened or even if it was mine, just assuming, but I found this in about 2000 cases i had been cleaning.

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
I don't think I have ever seen anything like that, it looks too perfect for an out of battery ( at least in my opinion ). that sucker looks as if some one was playing with a reloading die.

·
Premium Member
34,376 Posts
I don't think I have ever seen anything like that, it looks too perfect for an out of battery ( at least in my opinion ). that sucker looks as if some one was playing with a reloading die.
RJ, I'm going with you on this one!

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
definitely out of battery. Lucky the casehead held up. toss it and proceed with caution.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I think you got it. This was not the result of firing, but the result of wrong brass in a sizing die.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts