Dismiss Notice

Please be sure to post images when you're asking what the value of your firearm(s) is. We find this to be a necessary tool when determining a value. 

Can anyone tell me who the origina purchaser was for my Winchester?

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Pashynplay, Jan 4, 2016.

1. Pashynplay

Pashynplay New Member

Hello all. I have a new in box, 85 Winchester, Boy Scout commemorative 75th anniversary model, 22 rifle serial number BSA 713. It's in mint condition and includes all that came with it, box, manual, attachments and ammo. Still has the tags attached to lever.
    I'd really like to know who the original purchaser was, hoping it was my dad. Also can you tell me what the approx value of it would be? Thank you very much!

2. gdmoody

gdmoody Full Time Moderator Moderator Supporting Member

I really don't think there is any way you will ever find that information. You could contact Winchester and they would probably be able to tell you what distributor it went to from the factory but then you will get pretty much nothing!

3. grcsat

grcsat Well-Known Member

The value of your Boy Scout commemorative rifle , if unfired with mint condition box is worth about $1000.
    Since 95% of all commemorative rifles are unfired , the value is in the condition of the box, papers, bill of sale unopened ammo (removal of plastic wrap around the original ammo that came with rifle is a big no-no)
    Under NO circumstance should you ever work the action this will result in loss of value.
    If you want to display your rifle , then put it in a locked glass case. The more you handle it lower the value.

If you fire the rifle once then you loose 20% + value.
    Lose the box and you loose another 20%+ value.
    If you take it out hunting and fire it, and get a very minor scratch on the stock , the value will drop by 40%+
    Hope this helps.
    I have been selling commemoratives for a number of years.

4. Pashynplay

Pashynplay New Member

Thanks very much, I kinda figured traceability wouldn't be possible. Thanks!

5. Pashynplay

Pashynplay New Member

a
    And thanks grcsat, very useful info. Mine has everything except. No wrapping on the box of ammo. How detrimental is that? Thanks again!
    PS: I also have a Belgian twist, double barrel shotgun, that was my grandfathers. It has to be 100 years old and hasn't been fired in my 65 years. Will try and post some pic's, to see if you can provide some info on that gun. Thanks!

6. gdmoody

gdmoody Full Time Moderator Moderator Supporting Member

We have some real experts on OLD shotguns. Start a new thread and put up as many good clear closeup pictures of every marking you can find and I am sure you will get plenty of information on that one!

7. grcsat

grcsat Well-Known Member

If your's has had the wrapping removed (some did not have wrapping , depending on which model and year)
    The difference will be that the same model with wrapping will always sell first to a commemorative collector.
    I have seen a few boxes of ammo that came with your rifle with the plastic wrapping intact for sale. Might be a good idea to try and find one. This would put the rifle in the top selling bracket.

Remember, commemorates are to be looked at but not touched.:)

Last edited: Jan 5, 2016