Can buck fever cause a heart attack

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mark Markowski, Dec 6, 2017.

1. Mark Markowski

Mark Markowski New Member

Hello im 53 and have been hunting for around 40 years and have had lots of success over the years but just the other day while in my treestand with 4 small does under me my heart started racing and my adrenaline was rushing to my brain and i knew i was getting the so called buck fever even though i had no intentions of shooting one since i already harvested a couple earlier this season but i experienced some chest pain for around 15 minutes and since i had a quadruple bypass 10 years ago im concerned if this could bring on a heart attack, i did read a post where a man said taking a beta blocker before you hit the treestand will keep your heart rate down, anyhow im a little worried now but i dont want to give up hunting, does anyone have any knowledge or advice for me ? Thanks

2. Mark Markowski

3. jedwil

jedwil Well-Known Member Supporting Member

4. ms6852

ms6852 Well-Known Member

Dude you had chest pain and a history of a quadruple bypass!! You better get it checked out you need to get another CT angiogram done of your heart again to make sure you don't have another blockage. My specialty before retiring was cardiac imaging better to be safe than DEAD!

5. BlueDragonLair

BlueDragonLair Well-Known Member

Like posted, get it checked out. Better safe than the worst.
    I've had 3 MI's. First no big deal but 24 years later had 2 more within 3 days of each other while in the hospital. They did angio with balloon then transported to city for surgery after next one.
    I was very lucky or more likely the good Lord had me in the right place at the right time and it was not my time to die yet(knock wood).

6. southernshooter

southernshooter Well-Known Member

Please speak to your MD about it, Obviously with your prior history of cardiac problems it’s a dangerous game not to. Remember something needn’t be an actual cause to warrant concerns it needs only be a possibility.

Mark Markowski, ms6852 and joe45c like this.
  7. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member

Don't let fear take control of your life. Get it checked out by your doctor as soon as you can but don't let it take control. I have seen a lot of people do this. My wife being one.

Mark Markowski, ms6852 and joe45c like this.
  8. Mark Markowski

Thanks
    I have an appointment for a treadmill stress test wednesday

Thanks for the advice definetly getting some tests done, was just wondering if some chest discomfort was normal

BlackEagle, BlueDragonLair and ms6852 like this.
  9. Mark Markowski

Thanks for responding , definitely having it checked out, was just wondering if chest pain was normal during a buck fever episode , Marylands gun season is 2 weeks long and this upcoming weekend is the last 2 days but i think ill plat it safe and not go.

Thanks for all the advice, i think ill play it safe and get the necessary tests done and then hit the tree stand again afterwards.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2017
    BlackEagle, BlueDragonLair and ms6852 like this.
  10. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

Maybe.
    If it was monster trophy buck.

11. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I had five bypass surgery on 18 October 2004 and my doctor told me not to be shooting any high powered rifles for three months, so I missed that season. But I hunted every year until 2014 and the only thing I worried about was trying to tote the deer out of the woods. I never had any chest pains while in the blind whether it was in a tree or on the ground. I did have my grandson help me drag the last deer I killed in 2014. I would truly believe that your chest pains and the hunt was a coincidence!

12. Big Mak

Big Mak Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Mama always told me not to get medical advice from the innernets because you might get a virus....

Stahlrosen, ms6852 and howlnmad like this.
  13. ms6852

ms6852 Well-Known Member

That is only if you lick the mouse from other people.

howlnmad likes this.
  14. Big Mak

Big Mak Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I am not quite sure what that means but I'll assume it's a Texan thang. :)

15. 68c15

68c15 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

i don't suspect I'll ever have that problem. I sort of separate my emotions from the situation and run on logic and what the situation calls for. That keeps going until it's just about time to field dress. Then I stop and admire the animal while thanking God for the gift.

But my biggest problem is I don't know when to slow down. I've been known to push myself too hard and before I know it I'm a long ways from the car or my original spot. One time I chased a herd of deer 1.5 miles on foot through deeeep snow with ice on top

BlackEagle and howlnmad like this.