The Firearms Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Door Air gun Trigger Wood Automotive exterior

I live in Florida and my friend lives in Texas. I bought him a 80% lower for his birthday when he was living in Florida at the time but moved to Texas before I could give it to him so I was wondering if I can send it to him through the mail without facing legal trouble.

· Premium Member
4,368 Posts
Is it finished? or does he get to finish it? not being a lawyer or anything I would say not being finished and if you didnt have to fill out a 4473 to purchase said 80% lower yes you can ship it to him. Now if it is finished no way.

Others will be here shortly to give more and possibly better advice.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is it finished? or does he get to finish it? not being a lawyer or anything I would say not being finished and if you didnt have to fill out a 4473 to purchase said 80% lower yes you can ship it to him. Now if it is finished no way.

Others will be here shortly to give more and possibly better advice.
It hasn't been touched yet, but my main concern is the post office calling the police and having them show up at my house because they don't know what a 80% and it looks like a firearm.

· Registered
2,972 Posts
I am not a legal professional. Best thing to do is for you to check fed, state, and local (both ends) requirements and follow those rules. Some states allow out of state purchase/transfer some do not. BATFE may have a completely independant prespective - they have been known to kill kids, babies, and even more for just someone cutting a shotgun barrel off too short at their request. Right or wrong doesn't matter much after someone is dead.

Cash is not subject to regulation (maybe) - next time give him cash and let him buy what he wants to with it.

· Registered
8,578 Posts
If it has a serial number on it it it is a firearm and is therefore verboten for private parties to ship. If caught you will be subject to fines and possible jail time not to exceed two years. Given the political climate these days......To quote Dirty Harry" do you feel lucky?"

· Registered
1,303 Posts
If it has a serial number on it it it is a firearm and is therefore verboten for private parties to ship. If caught you will be subject to fines and possible jail time not to exceed two years. Given the political climate these days......To quote Dirty Harry" do you feel lucky?"
Did you read the thread it's an 80 % so it's just a piece of aluminum. You can also tell it hasn't been machined by simply looking at the picture no trigger hole or trigger pin holes since it is still a solid block.

· Registered
12,951 Posts
You can ship it no problem if the post office ask what it is say it's just a piece of aluminum.
I've never had the post office ask what's in a package beyond is it liquid or contain anything toxic that can break or spill.

· Super Moderator
29,730 Posts
Yes you can. That's just a hunk of aluminum. You don't have to tell the PO what you're sending, just that it's none of the prohibited items.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
No serial number are on the lower

· Registered
8,578 Posts
Did you read the thread it's an 80 % so it's just a piece of aluminum. You can also tell it hasn't been machined by simply looking at the picture no trigger hole or trigger pin holes since it it still a solid block.
If it has a serial number stripped or complete it is considered a firearm. I wanted to ship something recently and was informed in no uncertain terms if there is a serial number on it they will make my life difficult, even if it was literally a block of aluminum but had a serial number it is a no go.

· Registered
1,303 Posts
If it has a serial number stripped or complete it is considered a firearm. I wanted to ship something recently and was informed in no uncertain terms if there is a serial number on it they will make my life difficult, even if it was literally a block of aluminum but had a serial number it is a no go.
Ok but the serial number isn't applied to it until it is a finished reciever.

· Super Moderator
45,362 Posts
As has been said, yes you can mail it, it is just a piece of aluminum. How did you get it? Did it come to your house in the mail or did you have to go to a FFL to pick it up?

Stick it in a flat rate box and mail it. In the 17 years I worked for the Post Office, they were not allowed to ask you what was in a package you are mailing. The are required to ask if it is liquid, perishable, or dangerous, but NOT what is it!

· Super Moderator
29,730 Posts
The jig is nothing more than a tool. Send them together.
You can send every part to completely build an AR, as long as that lower is still in the 80% stage.

Reactions: genesismontalvo07
1 - 20 of 47 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.