The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://usarmorment.com/federal-xm22...se-in-throated-match-barrels-only-p-2042.html

Says " for Throated Match Barrels only". I'm getting desperate for ammo for my Savage Axis in .223... it has a 1 in 9" twist rate.... but ceratinly not a match grade barrel. I remember reading about someone using 69 grain sierra match kings with an Axis, but 80 grains is quite a bit.... anyways, this is the cheapest ammunition I can find that is actually in stock. I know AR's use 1 in 7" which can handle the heaviest weight .223 out there, but don't fit in the magazine... weird

·
Banned
5,425 Posts
I can't access the link - get a 403 forbidden error. However, if you want .223 ammo there is plenty available if you go to the right places.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
The disclaimer tells you they are only for single shot .223 with a match barrel and not intended for use in AR-15 type rifles. I wouldnt use them.

·
Registered
6,129 Posts
The 80-grain round is too long for a standard .223 Rem (or 5.56x45) chamber. The bullet is likely to be touching the rifling of the barrel before you fire, which will dramatically increase the pressure inside the chamber. This can result in catastrophic failure (explosion of your gun).

A "throated" barrel has the throat (the area between the chamber and the start of the rifling) cut a bit longer than standard so that longer bullets can be used. If your rifle isn't like that--and you would know for certain if it were--then you should not use that ammo.

Also, these are probably too long to fit in the magazine of your gun, which is why it references "single shot" guns.

You should not buy these.

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
your 9 twist probably wont stabilize them Alb. Youd be better served by throwing the cartridges at the target, unless you just wanna feel the gun go boom in your hands.

They require a throated match barrel because they are longer than SAAMI spec for the .223, which means they wont fit a standard chamber because you don't have enough freebore to accommodate the long bullet.

The long bullet requires more RPM to fly true to the target, RPM is a function of muzzle velocity X Rifling pitch. In your case, 9 inches to the 1 revolution. Which is suitable for 69 gr projectiles and lighter..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.