The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Premium Member
23,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had to break down some loaded .307 ammo. After bullet and powder removal, I carefully punched out the primers, can the primers still be used or should just drop them in some oil? It's 15 primers i'm talking about. No big loss just wondering.

· Registered
339 Posts
Hardly worth it for 15. If you didn't load that ammo, then you don't know just what those primers are, so loading unkown primers may not be a good idea anyway. Especially if you load near the upper limits of your load data.

· Premium Member
34,287 Posts
Hardly worth it for 15. If you didn't load that ammo, then you don't know just what those primers are, so loading unkown primers may not be a good idea anyway. Especially if you load near the upper limits of your load data.
I would use them but only as ammo for sighting in a scope, working up a ladder test, or just target practice.

· Premium Member
23,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did load them so i know exactly what i got. Thats all i would use them for is range testing, just wasn't sure how many would not fire ,because maybe the anvils are a little more compressed after depriming.

· Premium Member
23,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys, not that am a scounge, but when i go to buy primers and they are only letting have 100 at a time, i try use all i got. I was just concerned that i'd load them all up and they would be duds.

· Registered
18,148 Posts
Tossing a perfectly good primer is like tossing a perfectly good round of ammo. 15 is only 5 fromn a spensive box of shells.. Id use them.

· Registered
5,213 Posts
I wouldn't use them, primers aren't that hard to come by to risk a mis-fire. Punching the primer out can and most likely will damage the priming compound pellet in the primer.

those who beat their guns into plowshares, will plow for those who didn't

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.