The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a asm copy of an 1851 navy it is .44 cal I am wondering if I can take a new barrel and cylinder in .36 cal and put on my .44 frame. Or how about a 1861 .36 cal on a 1851 frame isn't the 1861 just a slimed down version of the 51?

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
I have a asm copy of an 1851 navy it is .44 cal I am wondering if I can take a new barrel and cylinder in .36 cal and put on my .44 frame. Or how about a 1861 .36 cal on a 1851 frame isn't the 1861 just a slimed down version of the 51?
Personal opinion don't do that. You have a good gun now and you are talking about a job that would cost as much to do as just getting a new gun with no guarantees it will shoot as good as what you have right now. Is your 44 clean and in good shooting shape. If it is leave it alone.

Dos Centavos from a dinosaur.

Just shot both yesterday so I might be a bit biased.

·
Registered
4,700 Posts
The frames are all the same except the 44 frame is rebated. If you turn it into a .36 it will have a lot of space under the cylinder where its rebated. It won't hurt anything but sure will look funny. Provided you can find ASM parts to swap to begin with.

·
Registered
5,354 Posts
What about the timing issue. You would have to change hands also and even then the timing has to be checked, and if off, corrected.

·
Registered
4,700 Posts
Timing might need to be adjusted slightly but I doubt a new hand would be called for. It is a possibility tho.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts