The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's the rule on mailing a few tins of #10 percussion caps? Can they be sent regular US post office first class mail? Anyone know?

I can't find any where I am summering but I have some back home.

·
Premium Member
4,003 Posts
I checked eBay where they are listed for sale and shipping would be via USPS.

·
Super Moderator
28,295 Posts
Just tell them that they are tins of mints. That's what I've done.

·
Super Moderator
41,576 Posts
You don't have to tell them what is in the package, or at least they are not supposed to ask. I just mailed a brick of primers, right or wrong!

·
Registered
17,329 Posts
Percussion caps, like primers and powder, are hazmat.

I don't know if hazmat can go post office, or if it has to go common carrier. But I do know they slap a $30 fee on it because it's hazmat.

·
Super Moderator
28,295 Posts
Percussion caps, like primers and powder, are hazmat.

I don't know if hazmat can go post office, or if it has to go common carrier. But I do know they slap a $30 fee on it because it's hazmat.
And that's why I tell them that they are mints.

·
Premium Member
4,233 Posts
Same as a primer so first thought? No can do.
Don't ask, don't tell.
I have been known to wrap a couple packs of primers in bubble wrap and mail them. No questions asked.;)

·
Premium Member
4,003 Posts
I listen to the list of items the clerk at the post office rattles off and reply NO.

Most items on their list I agree with: I don't want them on any aircraft I might be on!!

·
Premium Member
8,446 Posts
Our post Office asks a series of questions, No Batteries, No Explosives, No Firearms or Ammo, no pressurized Containers. I always answer No to all. They don't specifically ask what is in the package though.

·
Premium Member
4,233 Posts
When I go in our Local (rural) PO to mail a package, before they ask anything, I say NO NO and No. I do tell them it ISN'T a nuclear device.:D:D

These are the same folks that tell me to go back home and repack that 40 pounds of 30.06 brass in a Priority Mail Flat Rate Box so I can ship it for about $15.00 rather than $50.00. ;):cool:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts