The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible for a rifle's bore to be damaged during/by the barrel rebluing process ?

Here's why I ask.

I sent a barrel to have it reblued and when I went to clean the bore after I got it back from the rebluing company, I noticed that at about 8" from and chamber and also 8" from the muzzle there seems to be a slight wldening of the bore, i.e. when I run patches down thru the bore and push at a constant force, I can feel the patch speed up at these 2 places.

I can not say for 100% certainty but I don't remember feeling these widenings before I sent the barrel to be reblued.

Is it possible that something was placed in each end of the bore during the rebluing process that made 2 minor bluges in the bore ?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
14,149 Posts
Though I've seen bores sealed for refinishing - mostly for parkerizing, I've never seen it done with anything remotely tough enough to alter bore dimensions. If you don't mind my asking, what make/model rifle is it, what caliber, and how old?

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Though I've seen bores sealed for refinishing - mostly for parkerizing, I've never seen it done with anything remotely tough enough to alter bore dimensions. If you don't mind my asking, what make/model rifle is it, what caliber, and how old?
Thanks for your reply.

It is a Winchester 52B, approx. 1950 vintage - 22 caliber.

·
Premium Member
14,149 Posts
Thanks for your reply.

It is a Winchester 52B, approx. 1950 vintage - 22 caliber.
Well, I'll have to admit you've got me on that one. Can't think of anything that'd last long as a bore sealer in a bubbling hot bluing tank, though I could be wrong. Only times I can remember noticing a difference while cleaning an undamaged and unpitted bore - brush being pushed then slipping further in a hurry - were with military arms, notably Mauser K98s, and in each case visual inspection did not reveal any long-tapering bulge in the bore, nor was there any external evidence of a problem. It wasn't deemed important enough to investigate, so no further inspection was undertaken. I await other member's thoughts on this with interest. Sorry I couldn't offer you an answer on that one.

Mac

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I'll have to admit you've got me on that one. Can't think of anything that'd last long as a bore sealer in a bubbling hot bluing tank, though I could be wrong. Only times I can remember noticing a difference while cleaning an undamaged and unpitted bore - brush being pushed then slipping further in a hurry - were with military arms, notably Mauser K98s, and in each case visual inspection did not reveal any long-tapering bulge in the bore, nor was there any external evidence of a problem. It wasn't deemed important enough to investigate, so no further inspection was undertaken. I await other member's thoughts on this with interest. Sorry I couldn't offer you an answer on that one.

Mac
Nmckenzie:

Do you think there is a possibility that these buldges were already present in the barrel before I sent it to be re-blued and they were sort of being hidden by having had lead built up from shooting to hind their existence and then the rebluing processes cleaned that build up of lead out of the buldges, thus making me aware of them when I cleaned the barrel after the rebluing ?

Thanks.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
any portion of the interior appear to have been blued.. from breach or muzzle? but perhaps not center?
I can't really says for sure, except to say that cleaning the bore after the rebluing was a real chore. Took a real significant amount of patch passes to finally get it clean. Was sort of like a brownish / rust material/slime. But I have seen this before in other barrels that I have had reblued and I had no such problem with damage/buldges in those barrel bores.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
14,149 Posts
Nmckenzie:

Do you think there is a possibility that these buldges were already present in the barrel before I sent it to be re-blued and they were sort of being hidden by having had lead built up from shooting to hind their existence and then the rebluing processes cleaned that build up of lead out of the buldges, thus making me aware of them when I cleaned the barrel after the rebluing ?

Thanks.
Can you actually see a bulge, even a very long tapering one? You might try removing the bolt, steadying the barreled action while pointing it at a strong light source, and watch for the "straight line of light" (for lack of a better term) that will appear on the bore's surface (assuming it's clean) as you rotate the barrel. If the line appears to bend or dip anywhere along the line that's where the bulge is. We've all seen ringed bores caused by shooting through a left-behind cleaning patch, or a bullet jacket shed from a previous round - they're very apparent with just a quick glance, but a very gently widening of the bore usually isn't. Though I've never experienced it, I'm told that firing through a bore that retains a degree of hardened cosmoline can widen dimensions over a somewhat extended length - to the degree it's not readily apparent on casual inspection. It could also be a condition that stems from the manufacturing process itself, but I'll leave that for members more knowledgeable than I to comment on. As to the bulges having been present before you had the rifle reblued, it's entirely possible and I'd venture to say probable, but we'll never know.

·
Registered
4,608 Posts
This has nothing to with this other than ring in the barrel. I have K22 with a ring about 1/2 way down the 6" barrel but no bulge. It shoots lie new never now it was there except when I clean it.

·
Premium Member
10,182 Posts
If you cleaned it and got a brown oil then the barrel was NOT plugged when it was blued which is just fine(I never plug the bore when I blue).
Does the out side show any bulges?
On a .22 it is impossible to expand the barrel during bluing you are only heating the barrel to 295 degrees +-(depending on what you are using for your bluing salts).
If there is no out side damage then I would look very carefully at the bore and see if you are just hitting a area that did not take a blue (which can happen if it was not completely free of oil).
This would cause you to feel a drag of a patch on some and not the other and would also give the EFFECT that you see when you look down the barrel a optical illusion seeing light and dark.
So first you need to check to see if the outside is bulged if not then the likely hood that the inside is bulged is almost nill.
I would run a brass cleaning brush down and see if it drags in the barrel the same all the way.
Is the barrel shiny all the way or is it dark then light then dark?
The only way the barrel could have widdend (buldged) with out the outside buldging is if it was reemed(drilled) and steel was removed otherwise if you push the steel out on the inside you would push the steel out on the outside.And the likelyhood of that is almost impossable with out it showing inside and outside.
Mike

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have been a gunsmith for about 40 years now and have blued many hundreds of different guns and what you thinking is a physical impossibility. There no way that bluing a gun either with the barrel pluged or with out that can cause the type of damage that you think you have. I will not try to guess what or if there is a problem with out having the rifle to examine, but I will say that having it blued did not do it.
Steve

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have been a gunsmith for about 40 years now and have blued many hundreds of different guns and what you thinking is a physical impossibility. There no way that bluing a gun either with the barrel pluged or with out that can cause the type of damage that you think you have. I will not try to guess what or if there is a problem with out having the rifle to examine, but I will say that having it blued did not do it.
Steve
Steve:

I sort of thought that, but never hurts to ask.

Thanks.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.