The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,628 Posts
reeves, how about some dimensions or something for perspective. Something even like a regular sized coffee cup.

·
Registered
9,453 Posts
Also, good clear pictures of any writing on the barrel or lock plate.

Meanwhile, what you have is a back actioned cap lock pistol in less than good condition. Age could be anywhere between the mid 1830's to late 1860's

It's a shame the hammer, ramrod, ramrod thimbles and under rib and the lid to the cap box are missing.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
reeves, how about some dimensions or something for perspective. Something even like a regular sized coffee cup.
I should have thought of that. Yes, I will post up some new photos. I will be out of town tomorrow but will do that by this weekend. Thank you.

Better lighting (such as out doors in natural sunlight) would help as well.
I will do that. Thanks for your willingness to help.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Also, good clear pictures of any writing on the barrel or lock plate.

Meanwhile, what you have is a back actioned cap lock pistol in less than good condition. Age could be anywhere between the mid 1830's to late 1860's

It's a shame the hammer, ramrod, ramrod thimbles and under rib and the lid to the cap box are missing.
I think there is some writing but I can't really make it out. I will work on getting a better photo.

Yes, the condition is a shame. This is something that was passed down through my dad's family and I never saw it whole. I wouldn't really be looking to sell it, though. I just want to know more about what I have so that maybe I can figure out where it fits in my family's history.

·
Registered
9,453 Posts
Without a maker's name or perhaps proof marks it's going to be hard to narrow down a timeframe or location of origin for you.

Luckily for you the pistol has a hooked breech so it's fairly easy to dismount the barrel from the stock to have a look at the underside for any proof marks it may have.
If you'd like, I can post some instructions for dismounting the barrel, but before you do anything else I'll walk you through verifying that it isn't still loaded. a lot of old muzzle loaders were kept loaded at all times and every once in a while they were stored away still loaded.

So, find a pencil or wooden dowel that's small enough to slide inside the bore and is longer than the barrel.

Next, slide the dowel into the barrel and make sure it goes all the way down to the breech plug.
muzzleloader pistol.JPG

The dowel or pencil (green line) should be able to go down as far as the orange line, if it doesn't the pistol might still be loaded.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Without a maker's name or perhaps proof marks it's going to be hard to narrow down a timeframe or location of origin for you.

Luckily for you the pistol has a hooked breech so it's fairly easy to dismount the barrel from the stock to have a look at the underside for any proof marks it may have.
If you'd like, I can post some instructions for dismounting the barrel, but before you do anything else I'll walk you through verifying that it isn't still loaded. a lot of old muzzle loaders were kept loaded at all times and every once in a while they were stored away still loaded.

So, find a pencil or wooden dowel that's small enough to slide inside the bore and is longer than the barrel.

Next, slide the dowel into the barrel and make sure it goes all the way down to the breech plug.
View attachment 186070

The dowel or pencil (green line) should be able to go down as far as the orange line, if it doesn't the pistol might still be loaded.
Thanks. I will do that.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

View attachment 186070

Thanks. The pistol is unloaded.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm not a shooter but received this muzzleloader pistol as part of an inheritance. Can someone tell me what I have?

Thanks.
Here are additional photos of the pistol.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts