Dismiss Notice

Please be sure to post images when you're asking what the value of your firearm(s) is. We find this to be a necessary tool when determining a value. 

Can This One Be Identified?

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by unclerandy, Jun 25, 2020.

1. unclerandy

unclerandy Member

Does yours have the flat rectangular piece of metal under the screw? Did the hole in the L shaped spring go through that screw by the hammer? I'm not seeing how a L shaped hand spring would work here.

tedwitt likes this.
  2. TRAP55

TRAP55 Well-Known Member

At the top of the L would be a hole. The screw goes through that hole, and secures the L to the frame.
    The bottom of the L, rests on the back of the hand, applying forward pressure.

tedwitt likes this.

3. unclerandy

unclerandy Member

I see. So the piece of metal under the screw in my pics is a remnant of the hand spring? Can you say if the L spring was a consistent width? Meaning the short leg of the L is the same width as the long leg of the L? Do you know about where the short leg would come to rest on the hand?

tedwitt likes this.
  4. TRAP55

TRAP55 Well-Known Member

If it looks like a real thin washer under that screw, that's what is left of the spring. Contact on the hand would most likely be just below center. There will probably be a wear mark there. You can see wear marks in the side cover. Width of the spring doesn't matter as long as it's not interfering with the side cover or other parts.

tedwitt likes this.
  5. unclerandy

unclerandy Member

It doesn't look like a thin washer.
    [​IMG]

tedwitt likes this.
  6. johnsxj

johnsxj Well-Known Member

The long leg of the L would've been the same width or a little less than the thickness of the cylinder hand. The end of the long leg might have originally had a curl on it to keep from digging into the hand (at least that's how I would've done it).

As far as the length of the long leg goes, I'd look for wear marks on the back of the hand like Trap55 mentioned. If you can't see any wear marks, then put the revolver back together without the side plate and hammer spring, cock the action back to it's firing position, push the hand forward and see how much length you can get before the spring bottoms out on the bump where the hand goes onto its pivot pin.

For a replacement spring you might be able to cut up and modify a hammer/sear/safety combo spring from a 1911 pistol. The worst part would probably be drilling a mounting hole in the spring.

7. unclerandy

unclerandy Member

The 1911 spring material is a great idea! What would you suggest for the cutting? Would you speculate that item 1 is the design of the hand spring I can mimic? What do you think of item 2? Could this rest in the side plate and frame to push against the trigger? I do realize this pic isn't an example of my pistol but the ideas are helpful.
    [​IMG]

tedwitt likes this.
  8. Kweeksdraw

Kweeksdraw Well-Known Member

For item #1 a Colt clone SAA trigger/cylinder bolt spring has a hole in it already, if it can be made to fit? There is also a wire variation of the same spring that could be interesting.

9. unclerandy

unclerandy Member

What would be your method for cutting a 1911 spring up?

10. TRAP55

TRAP55 Well-Known Member

I came here to post the same thing. I have one with one leg of the spring broken off. If the remaining leg is long enough, it would be a near ready made hand spring.
    Randy, can you get me a rough measurement from the center of that screw, to the pivot point of the hand? If the spring is long enough, I'll stick in an envelope and send it to you.

BlackEagle, Kweeksdraw and Grizzley1 like this.
  11. unclerandy

unclerandy Member

I'll get that measurement tomorrow morning. Thanks

12. unclerandy

unclerandy Member

Let me know if I measured this correctly.
    [​IMG]

BlackEagle and Kweeksdraw like this.
  13. TRAP55

TRAP55 Well-Known Member

I think it might work. I'll have to dig it out, and I'm up to my eyeballs in alligators right now, so give me a few days.

BlackEagle and Grizzley1 like this.
  14. unclerandy

unclerandy Member

No prob, I’ll PM my address.

15. unclerandy

unclerandy Member

Thanks for all the help thus far! Now that I have a plan/idea for the hand spring let me throw this one at you guys. My video will show the trigger and a recess that I believe would be part of the trigger return/sear spring. I'd love some ideas on what parts should be here??