The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
It appears to be an English--don't recognize the proof marks--screw barrel, box lock flintlock pistol, probably very late 18th century or very early 19th. Can't read the writing--Henry Nock was a well known maker of this type of pistol. Yours in nicer than most. In focus closeups of the lock sides would help. Identity of maker is key to value.

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
Looks like it might be marked Wm Cook, Perth (Australia)?

If so, maybe Jack404 will have something.

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
It do look like " something Cook " on one side and Perth on the other. I believe hrf has it correct.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Yes it does say Wm Cook on one side and Perth on the other. I have not been able to find anything anywhere on the proof marks. Does Anyone have any idea what this is worth? I really am interested in the history of it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Another Question. I have had this gun for over 50 years and in that time I have not ever seen another one the same as this. so the question is did a lot of different company's make guns back then or were only a few of each one made. Shouldn't there be more out there the very same as this one?

·
Registered
5,133 Posts

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
Another Question. I have had this gun for over 50 years and in that time I have not ever seen another one the same as this. so the question is did a lot of different company's make guns back then or were only a few of each one made. Shouldn't there be more out there the very same as this one?
Most guns that period were made by solitary gunsmiths, whose guns were made to order for individuals, and thus rarely identical unless a matched pair was requested.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts