The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A fella I know is trying to identify a rifle his grandfather left him. The grandson brought it over so I snapped some photos. It is a double trigger, full stock small rifle - one might think is a youth rifle, but the barrel appears to be larger than .22. There is no manufacture info anywhere on the gun - no caliber stated. The stock has checkering that for the most part is in good condition, the receiver has some etching design work to it. The bold action is straight pull. The magazine is not something familiar to me. The grandson says a detachable magazine is slid into the access under what looks to be a built in magazine. But to my dismay there is an internal "Z" spring inside the housing like a Winchester 1895. Three digit numerical serial number ending in "S". Distinguishable marks are a "K" located several times on the bolt sights and trigger guard. I did not break it down any further than taking the bolt out since I may not be able to remember how to put it back together. I did however cock the firing pin in the bolt which spun the head of the bolt to where a metal extrusion is not seated under the extractor - so I cannot slide the bolt back into the receiver. I appreciate any guidance anyone may be able to provide to facilitate identification.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,608 Posts
WAG

Austrian Styer 1893 Sporting rifle 6.5mm Mannlicher caliber,

·
Banned
5,428 Posts
I think the barrel was shortened to meet the stock from the original configuration. Many of these rifles were conversion rifles for hunting which is why it has the double triggers. The rear trigger should be the 'set trigger' and when pulled changed the forward trigger to be a hair trigger.

Most likely, it is chambered for 8mm. (8x56). The original rounds were 8x50. Greece and Yugoslavia converted some to 7.92x57. There was also a conversion done for 8x57.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. You fellas have been helpful. The owner is appreciative of the information you provided. Now to put me back in good graces with the gun owner...does anyone know how to reset the extrusion back under the extractor so I can slide the bolt back into the receiver? :confused:

Hope you all had a meaningful Independence Day.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A special THANK YOU to 22WRF. Your service and your survival is appreciated and respected here.

Semper Fi.
Capt (LDO) USMC Ret.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts