The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WA banned undetectable guns I believe because they do not have enough metal. If I mold a plastic receiver and add metal would it become legal?

·
Registered
380 Posts
If it's on a banned list, no matter what you do to it - it will remain on a banned list.

They are not going to look at them on a case by case basis.

·
Premium Member
1,418 Posts
you may have The Firearms Forum confused with Lawyers are use. anything you read here is not legal advice.
first time poster! welcome. i hope you stick around. really we can give opinions on a lot of stuff, just don't tat it to the bank. tell use about yourself and any gun related stuff that we will find of interest. again welcome from Alabama

rick

·
Super Moderator
10,742 Posts
That would be a good question for your lawyer to answer. while your on the clock @ $250 hr. ask him or her about I1639, apparently that got pushed aside also, I know of 4 Semiauto rifle purchases and not one FFL has asked for that certificate.
Dumb waste of money by the Apple Maggot.

·
Registered
874 Posts
What gun would you have that doesn't have enough metal in it?

Reactions: shootbrownelk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What gun would you have that doesn't have enough metal in it?
The gun would have metal, but the way WA structured the law bans polymer/plastic receiver part of the gun that doesn't have 3.7-ounce 17-4 PH stainless steel.
  • “Undetectable firearm” means any firearm that is not as detectable as 3.7 ounces of 17-4 PH stainless steel by walk-through metal detectors or magnetometers commonly used at airports or any firearm where the barrel, the slide or cylinder, or the frame or receiver of the firearm would not generate an image that accurately depicts the shape of the part when examined by the types of X-ray machines commonly used at airports.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Back to my question. What gun would you have that you don't think has enough metal in it? The polymer lower itself may not have any metal. But the components within the frame to make it a firing unit would have enough metal.

Reactions: shootbrownelk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Back to my question. What gun would you have that you don't think has enough metal in it? The polymer lower itself may not have any metal. But the components within the frame to make it a firing unit would have enough metal.
My original question wasn't really complete. I wanted a handgun or rifle with a polymer receiver, I wasn't trying to make an entire plastic gun or anything. If the receiver is polymer without 3.7 ounces of metal, in WA the entire gun is classified as undetectable, even tho it contains other metal components. I was trying to make my own polymer mold with metal infused into the receiver.

·
Premium Member
1,506 Posts
I would say if a gun is on the banned list, then it’s on the banned list. Making modifications to it won’t change that fact. Their law is kind of stupid though. Having worked for the TSA, I never saw a gun that could be concealed from our xrays unless it was hidden in a bunch of other random metal crap. The only exception would be the 3D printed guns made for one shot use. With the proliferation of files on the internet for these, they were becoming a bigger concern for TSA and Homeland Security.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts