Canadian Immigrant trying to buy a gun

Discussion in 'The Constitutional & RKBA Forum' started by TheSnowman, Dec 22, 2016.

Tags:
  1. TheSnowman

TheSnowman New Member

I'm a Canadian immigrant I'm in my last year of permanent residency before I can apply for my citizenship. I've been looking into gun laws, obviously because I want to get a gun. The only issue I'm having is I can't find anything that applies to non citizen immigrants, only non-immigrants. I'm not here on a hunting trip I live here and I plan on staying here. I just need help figuring out how I can get licensed to own a firearm, but all I seem to come up with are law pertaining to non-immigrant Canadian citizens. Can someone please help clarify this for me?

2. rawright54

rawright54 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

As a permanent resident, you have the right to purchase and possess a firearm. Under federal law, you must provide a dealer with proof of your resident status, and show that you have been a resident of the state for at least 90 days. If your state requires a longer period to be considered a resident, I think that the longer period applies. Details are in the ATF Newsletter found here:
    https://www.atf.gov/file/56441/download

Good luck, and Welcome!:)

3. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

Go into your local gun shop and buy a gun! If you are turned down, they will probably explain why. You have the same gun purchasing privileges that US citizens do. I see by your IP address that you live in Delaware and from what I found, Delaware citizens do not need a license to purchase a gun, just to carry one concealed.

4. rawright54

rawright54 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Nope. We can inform the customer that the purchase was denied, but we aren't informed of the reason. We give the customer the NICS-assigned number of the request, and the phone number to call for more information. The Bureau considers that information private, for the customer's ears only. :)

m77user, Conman, joe45c and 3 others like this.
  5. TheSnowman

TheSnowman New Member

Than
    Thank you good sir.