The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Haven't had this problem before. As seen in the picture the cannalure isn't in the same location. I loaded the first one up and noticed that all didn't match up. It took a while to figure this one out. So, can I still use the one on the right. If I do this will seat the bullet deeper into the casing. My OAL will be under specs. I'm a little worried that this will cause more pressure being built up in the chamber. These are Hornady 22 cal .224. 55gr v-max W/C #22272.
Shooting out of an AR. 5.56. I've loaded about 600 already using the one on the left. Those spec out alright.

Ammunition Copper Bullet Gun accessory Metal

·
Super Moderator
32,212 Posts
I may be wrong because I've never used those bullets but that looks like a factory flaw and I'd call Hornady about it. That cannelure is way up on top of the bearing surface and right at the end of the ogive.

·
Registered
18,257 Posts
Yeah, I'd call Hornady and complain. Better yet, email so you can send that picture. Might get a free box of bullets out of 'em.

But I'd load it. I wouldn't seat it to the cannelure. I'd seat it to the same depth I seated all the others.

If it was just the one, I'd keep it as a curiosity. "Look at what these idiots did". But if there were several I'd load 'em. Still keep one, though.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The whole box is like this. All 100. I loaded up six of them and shot them. They all fuctioned alright with no signs of over pressure. I will email Hornady about it though. Thank you gentlemen.

·
Banned
2,751 Posts
Haven't had this problem before. As seen in the picture the cannalure isn't in the same location. I loaded the first one up and noticed that all didn't match up. It took a while to figure this one out. So, can I still use the one on the right. If I do this will seat the bullet deeper into the casing. My OAL will be under specs. I'm a little worried that this will cause more pressure being built up in the chamber. These are Hornady 22 cal .224. 55gr v-max W/C #22272.
Shooting out of an AR. 5.56. I've loaded about 600 already using the one on the left. Those spec out alright.

View attachment 74097
Don't be worried about reduced OAL in a Bottle Necked rifle round. The shorter the round the LESS the pressure.

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
Don't be worried about reduced OAL in a Bottle Necked rifle round. The shorter the round the LESS the pressure.
Unless you're running a compressed load. Then all bets are off and pressure can go either way depending on the powder used and the load density.
But yes, typically a shorter COAL...and a longer jump to the rifling for the bullet will lower pressure.

I do agree though....looks like Hornady made a boo-boo with that lot of bullets.
When you contact Hornady, be sure to let them know the lot # of the bullets too. It's on the box label near the UPC code.

·
Banned
2,751 Posts
Unless you're running a compressed load. Then all bets are off and pressure can go either way depending on the powder used and the load density.
But yes, typically a shorter COAL...and a longer jump to the rifling for the bullet will lower pressure.

I do agree though....looks like Hornady made a boo-boo with that lot of bullets.
When you contact Hornady, be sure to let them know the lot # of the bullets too. It's on the box label near the UPC code.
How does compressing the charge affect pressure?

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
I'm not a ballistician and I don't have a pressure test rig. I just have journal data from several loads out of a couple of my rifles. Might not be the compressed charges that did it but there was definite increased pressure.

This is the one that really scared the snot out of me...
Notes from my loading journal:

7/16/1997
.257Roberts Ruger M77 Featherweight
WW brass WLR primer 4th loading
100gr Hornady SP seated 0.015" off the lands 2.765" COAL
49.2gr H4831
Powder charge full to base of bullet. No compression, maybe 99%
Slightly flat primer. Case head measures .4732".
2976fps avg.
15 rounds

.257Roberts Ruger M77 Featherweight
PMC brass WLR primer 2nd loading
100gr Hornady SP seated 0.015" off the lands 2.765" COAL
49.2gr H4831
Powder charge came up case neck about 3/16". Compressed load.
Primer pocket stretched, primer fell out. .4742" head
3195fps
2 rounds

Feel free to explain. Two variables changed...and one caused the other.
The PMC brass had a smaller internal volume than the Win. Might've been softer, but that doesn't explain a 225fps velocity rise.
2900-3000fps was pretty much the normal top end with this rifle with 100gr bullets.
Smaller internal volume turned a 100% load into a compressed load.
Yes, I was stupid to switch brass without backing off. That's my fault.

I've got a few of those from my .22/6mm as well but that journal must still be in storage at the farm. I didn't have a chrony back when I was hotrodding that rifle so no fps for those entries.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.