The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I cannot seem to find loading data on 45 cal 230 graim round nose hollow point bullets in my Sierra, or Hornady book, they are plated, am I missing something ?

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
As a general rule plated bullets use the same loading data as a cast bullet. The Sierra and most likely the Hornady bullets mentioned are jacketed bullets, and use slightly different loading data. For the plated bullets, contact the manufacturer to get their recomendations.

those who beat their guns into plowshares, will plow for those who didn't

·
Registered
18,041 Posts
i agree.. all the plated bullets I see suggest using cast load data..

·
Banned
2,751 Posts
I cannot seem to find loading data on 45 cal 230 graim round nose hollow point bullets in my Sierra, or Hornady book, they are plated, am I missing something ?
Hornady and Sierra do not make plated bullets, so it stands to reason they would not have data for them.

Most plated bullet manufacturers do not have any load data as they lack the capability to pressure test their products.

What brand of plated bullets do you have?

Some recommend lead data and others recommend mid range jacketed data.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Rainier recommends to use lead data and Berry's recommends medium jacketed data. I load both bullets with jacketed data just keep them below 1,200 FPS.

·
Super Moderator
41,422 Posts
Rainier recommends to use lead data and Berry's recommends medium jacketed data. I load both bullets with jacketed data just keep them below 1,200 FPS.
This is exactly what I do! I use pretty much all Berry's bullets or my home cast ones.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hornady and Sierra do not make plated bullets, so it stands to reason they would not have data for them.

Most plated bullet manufacturers do not have any load data as they lack the capability to pressure test their products.

What brand of plated bullets do you have?

Some recommend lead data and others recommend mid range jacketed data.
The bullets are manufactured by XTREME bullets.......I can not even find loading data on 45 cal 230 grain RNHP cast bullets.

·
Super Moderator
41,422 Posts
It doesn't really matter if it is a hollow point or round nose ball, 230 grains is 230 grains is 230 grains, no matter how you look at it.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It doesn't really matter if it is a hollow point or round nose ball, 230 grains is 230 grains is 230 grains, no matter how you look at it.
Hey, thanks....maybe I'm being too persnickety, but like to get good opinions.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts