Caring for Parkerized Finishes

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by CountryGunsmith, Feb 23, 2003.

1. CountryGunsmith

CountryGunsmith New Member

Jay625
    (4/7/02 10:31:54 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Care and feeding of parkerized finishes ??
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I have obtained a Mossberg M44US .22 training rifle that has a parkerized finish. I've never owned a weapon with a parked finish, but I'm open for suggestions on how to take care of it.

Jay

AntiqueDr
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (4/7/02 10:43:14 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: Care and feeding of parkerized finishes ??
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Just as you would a blued finish. The parkerizing is a slightly more durable phosphate-based finish, but still requires maintenance.

We Buy Guns! 1 - 100, Antique or Modern!
    www.apaxenterprises.com
    Kimber and Wilson Combat Master Dealer

LIKTOSHOOT
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (4/7/02 10:44:53 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Care and feeding of parkerized finishes ??
    Same as any other, that finish seems to hold oil much better than blued steel.....because of the surface imperfections of that finish. Regards LTS

ps/ does it have a letter "a" , "c" ect, after the "44US c"
    T.F.F.

Jay625
    (4/7/02 10:49:27 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Care and feeding of parkerized finishes ??
    Thanks gents, I appreciate the response.

LTS... just M44US no following letter. The rifle is in transit to me. I haven't had my hands on it yet, but the seller told me on the phone it was CMP in the bag with Lyman rear peep, parked finish, Marked M44US. I neglected to ask him about "US Property" markings.