The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the Forum. Unfortunately, I currently live in NJ, so I can't carry (except in my home or on my property). However, my wife and I plan to move to rural PA within the next year - and there, I'll be able to get a carry permit. Let's assume for the purposes of this discussion that I'd be carrying OWB at about 3 o'clock. I'd wear an open garment over it to afford some concealment. I'm sure I'll hear plenty of comments about that carry position being "inferior" and/or that "people will see my gun". Bad guys being able to see that you're armed is a tactical disadvantage, I get that. But can we maybe suspend that for now - or at least talk about my question (below) as well?

Is there an "easy-on, easy off" gun belt or even gun belt and holster combo? I know this sounds like laziness - if you carry, you do whatever you have to to arrive at the best gun and rig. BUT - I know myself, and I know that "Program Compliance" is more likely to be at or near 100% if the rig and gun are not a PITA to put on and take off. Such a rig might make home carry a little easier too, I think. I'm reminded of Westerns I've seen where the "cowboy" picks up his gun belt (with revolvers in attached holsters), and "just puts it on". Or takes it off, and hangs it somewhere close by. To get even more far-fetched, what if the belt fastened similar to a seat belt - e.g., with a buckle that "clicks" together (I wear gym shorts or sweats pretty much everywhere). For that kind of buckle to work, the belt would probably have to be elastic somehow. Is this pure fiction, or is there something like this out there?

Thanks in Advance,
River Man

·
Premium Member
TFF Cake Queen and Revolver Packer
8,221 Posts
I have a California CCW permit. On our ranch I wear my holster outside the waistband. I own 3 Jersey bulls and we have a cougar on the prowl from time to time. As for everyday carry I'm in the same boat as wondering how to conceal. I have a .38 special and have trouble with the bulk of the cylinder. Remember this when you start carrying everyday... May God grant you wisdom and skill if the time comes.

·
Registered
3,275 Posts
Wow, that's a number of questions and situations. First, 3 o'clock is common. I usually go for it or 230 or even 330. You will eventually find that comfy spot. I think in the beginning we all explore those paddle holster with the large flap that goes over the belt so that you can lift the holster off the belt and not have to remove the belt. Many times there will be a clip to more securly hold that holster to the belt and they can be a pain in the but to open up and pull away from the belt. Other designs have clips that secure the holster to the belt. I've tried them but don't use them much. If I know I'm going to the Doctor, I simply pocket carry something small that day and leave it locked in the car, rather then mess with a holster.

I don't know how much this happens, but in some areas of cities it may apply, where thieves may watch cars parking near medical facilities and watch for men fidgeting around with a holster so that they can break in when you are away. I've never talked to anyone this has happened to, but if I'm going to secure my gun in the car, I like to do it before I get where I'm going to park.

After messing with clips and paddles, I tried some kydex holsters. They are ok but they can wear the finish on the handgun and I don't care for all the clicks as you holster or unholster. I've settled on leather and a heavy velcro belt.

Don't waste your money on those nylon holster in the beginning. There are many well known holster makers and companies. Search around and see why folks seem to like the ones they recommend. Same goes for all the belts out there. The usual heavy belts found in your local stores may work for something like a ultralight snub or 380, but in the end you will wind up with a good gun belt in order to keep that holster and the butt of your handgun up close to your body.

·
Registered
3,275 Posts
I bought the most simple model they have, the low profile EDC belt. I was lucky one night and found a blem on ebay in my size and ordered it. Velco is noisy but convienient. I just have to pick out the stray threads and things they pick up over time. Eventually, the Velcro will probably wear our and be replaced, but I'm very satisfied with mine. It also does what it was intended to do and helps with the heavier duty type guns I sometimes carry. Usually though it's a lightweight revolver or poly subcompact.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Paddle holster is a quick on and off. If you are wearing elastic waist shorts, then a belt is your best option. Hank's Belts are a quality made belt and will support even the heaviest of firearms...JM2C

·
Registered
466 Posts
If you wear sweats a lot, you might consider a belly band holster? I've never tried one, but then I never wear sweats either. As far as anything else, I'm happy with Alien Gear's Cloak Tuck 3.5 for IWB, and their Cloak Belt for OWB. I'll eventually get a legit gun belt, but for now a thick leather belt is doing the trick just fine.

·
Registered
466 Posts
New to the Gathering. Tragically, I right now live in NJ, so I can't convey (besides in my home or on my property). Nonetheless, my significant other and I intend to move to provincial Dad inside the following year - and there, I'll have the option to get a convey grant. We should expect for the reasons for this conversation that I'd convey OWB at around 3 o'clock. I'd wear an open piece of clothing over it to bear the cost of some camouflage. I'm certain I'll hear a lot of remarks about that convey position being "substandard" as well as that "individuals will see my weapon". Miscreants having the option to see that you're furnished is a strategic burden, that's what I get. However, might we at any point perhaps suspend that until further notice - or if nothing else discuss my inquiry (beneath) too?
Is this a bot?

·
Registered
163 Posts
I think you’re gonna have a tough time carrying on your waste line with sweat pants. But maybe you can make it work. Any belt that supports a firearm is not going to be elastic. If you want something that easily goes on and off, an over belt with a Cobra buckle is probably your best bet. They make them that have a velcro-sided under belt which you thread through your belt loops, then the backside of the outer belt has the opposite velcro to it integrates perfectly, does not move, and everything on your belt goes on and off in seconds. I have one that I use for my “battle belt.” Mine is a Safelife brand. I have found that it is worth spending the extra money on quality belts and holsters. Probably cheaper in the long run, but having the right gear to support your firearms is crucial to everything working properly together as a system.

·
Registered
615 Posts
One thing to consider is accessibility while your seated in a vehicle. A lot of IWB/OWB holsters are difficult to draw from if you're belted in.

If you're seated in a vehicle, a shoulder holster, ankle holster or belly holster can provide quicker access. There is a new style of belly holster where the pistol is centered. Just Google "belly holsters" to see the varieties.

I bring the subject of vehicles up, as the occurrences of armed carjackings are spiking as never before. The statistics are alarming to say the least.

·
14,506 Posts
One thing to consider is accessibility while your seated in a vehicle. A lot of IWB/OWB holsters are difficult to draw from if you're belted in.

If you're seated in a vehicle, a shoulder holster, ankle holster or belly holster can provide quicker access. There is a new style of belly holster where the pistol is centered. Just Google "belly holsters" to see the varieties.

I bring the subject of vehicles up, as the occurrences of armed carjackings are spiking as never before. The statistics are alarming to say the least.
I've been looking at belly holsters for a while, can't decide.

·
Super Moderator
47,673 Posts
Alien Gear holsters. They have several different "carry methods" with their holsters. I have their "ShapeShift" system for my SIG P938, that has four different carry methods in one system. Only the paddle holster is easy or can quickly be removed. I find that the holster in conjunction with a Kore carry belt works well for me. I use the OWB part of the system mostly and it is just a matter of taking the belt out of a couple of "loops" on your britches to put on or take off the holster.

·
Registered
148 Posts
You will probably end up with a box of holsters like most of us before you find one that works for you.
Ditto. It’s a real pain finding the right one, a rite of passage.

I settled on OWB, 3;00, leather holster, and wear an open outer shirt to conceal for my little 9mm. Belt goes through slits in the holster, not a clip on. And I actually like it back a little, between 3 and 4.

It’s the only configuration where I can always make it comfortable, and with different pants having different belt loop positions, you’ll learn this for yourself. There’s a kind of over/under trick to running the belt through the holster where you have a couple of inches play in either direction, but the pants loop keeps the holster right there and can’t slide out of position too far.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
This might be a little off-topic (and I'm the OP!), but I expect to carry a Compact (4" barrel) 9mm. Full size is just too much (for me) for CCW, and I don't shoot the micro-compact 9's as well as larger guns - and I'm sure my groups will "open up" in a gunfight vs. a flat range shooting at paper. Hence, the OWB @ 3:00 thinking.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts