The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any of you guys ever buy ammunition for a gun you have yet to purchase? I’ve been collecting 22WRF for a few years now in hopes of finding a Winchester 1890 in which to empty them. Seems a little bassaquards I know but I figure if I don’t ever find the rifle I can always shoot’m through my 1959 Single Six. Guess while I’m at it if any of ya happen upon a Winchester in your travels that isn’t ridiculously priced give a feller a heads up. ;)

·
Premium Member
12,436 Posts
Different cartridges, SBE.

Yes Mark, I have. The local pawn shop had a half dozen boxes of 8 X 57R. Dave told me he ordered it mistakenly and had it priced pretty reasonable. So I bought 3 boxes, you know, just in case.

·
Registered
5,223 Posts
I have about 30+ rds each of some obsolete calibers,I was collecting .30Carb and .32 auto brass when ever they came along cheap,no longer has firearm for either.Gave .30C to farrier for cutting hooves and traded .32 with G.D. for some bullets.Still have about 40 .38 S&W and 38/44 brass....been looking for years for shooter 38/44-found about 20 95+ safe queens for ridiculous amounts.

·
Premium Member
17,992 Posts
I didn't set out to do it, but i had a lot of ,22 shorts hanging around so when i bought my winchester 1890 in .22 short i was all set with it for a while anyway.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
It was not ammo but I had plans to get a Swiss Vetterli rifle in the future and and ran across some 8mm Lebel brass cheap which can be cut down and formed to make 41 Swiss so I bought it and did down the road buy a Swiss Vetterli and did that . I also had a Berthier rifle at the time which shoots 8mm Lebel and thought if I don't find a Swiss Vetterli in time I would just use it for the Berthier ammo . As many know if you want to shoot these old firearms you better be ready to make brass cause you can't find it in a LGS or if you can find it be ready to pay dearly for it . I still go both rifles .

·
Premium Member
503 Posts
Yup did that with 38 special, and I loaded up a bunch of 12gauge when i temporarily owned a 12 gauge. I have a couple thousand hulls and a few thousand primers so I'll make up a box of 12ga here and there when im bored on my Lee Load-All JR. . In anticipation of getting a 12ga again at some point. Im thinking I may just make up some steel shot rounds because several of the WMAs in my area are steel shot only even on upland game. I also bought a 1000 9mm brass and 500 38 special brass and I didnt have a reloading press even cast about a thousand 148 grain semi wadcutters for the 38 special That I dont even own. I do have a couple chamber adapters for my 410 though.

·
GUNZILLA
6,498 Posts
I bought cases of 22 magnum before I had a firearm for it. I bought it in anticipation of the PMR-30. I waited 5 years to buy one because in the first year there were issues with it which got worked out and than I had to wait an additional 4 years because they were selling like hot potatoes and I refused to buy one until the prize dropped from $800 and up to what I finally paid $359. I also bought the CZ 22 mag rifle with the full stock afterwards. So during the Obama years I had 15 cases of 22 magnum.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Closest I've come was buying a box of 20 gauge shells for what was supposed to be a 20 gauge Iver I'd won on "The Auction Site That Shall Not Be Named".
Turned out the Iver was in .28 gauge with double struck barrel markings and a scarce for gauge 32" barrel.
Took over a year before I bought a 20 gauge shotgun.

·
Registered
9,857 Posts
So, what kind of rifle are you going to buy or build after the .40-65? Enquiring minds want to know. :p

·
Administrator
12,037 Posts
Nothing special at the moment. My LGS has an H&R 1871 Buffalo Classic in 45-70 that has been on the rack way too long. I'm trying to get the price down. I'm thinking of trying some black powder loads. But, I will be looking for a suitable 45-70 if that doesn't work out.

·
Premium Member
878 Posts
Not exactly, but did buy a .375 bullet mold with the idea of sizing bullets down to .358. Didn't work. Solved the problem by having have a 30-30 rebored / rerifled to 38-55. 😊

·
Registered
9,857 Posts
Don, whatever you do, don't breathe the smoke from a black powder charge, it's highly addictive and there is no 12 step program. :) I tried joining a BP Anonymous group but all we ever did was plan the next shoot. ;)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts