The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recnetly acquired a Brass 20 mm Cartridge - overall length 137 mm (phoos attached).
The Base is imprinted - 2 K . P490 . 38 with a windeged symbol & W2A201.
Could someone please identify the Maker and what/when the cartridge may have been used for.
Most grateful thanks in advance.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,602 Posts
20x138B ("B" = Belted) Swiss Solothurn, loaded in 1938 at W.Brand in Heidleburg. The Waa201 is the code for that factory, and called a Waffenamt. Primary use was anti-aircraft, but was also used with armor piercing rounds for anti-tank use. Germans main use was in the Flak 38.

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
Would be really cool if you can come up with the "bullet " part for it . Were did you come across it ? Just curious cause I like old cartridges and shells !!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Would be really cool if you can come up with the "bullet " part for it . Were did you come across it ? Just curious cause I like old cartridges and shells !!!
It would be great if I could claim to know about the historical life of this Cartridge - but sadly I don't know. One of my Sons deals in musical instruments and this Cartridge was in a box of Instrument parts purchased at an Instrument Auction. He gave it to me to see what I could find out about it and thanks to the Forum, my enquiry has borne results - wonderful. Thanks to all for their interest.

Remember this scene from Saving Private Ryan? That's a Flak 38, check out the size of the magazine.

Thank you for your response. The Flak 38 is certainly some piece of machinery - wow. I wouldn't like to be on the receiving end of that. Most interesting.

·
Premium Member
4,323 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The Solothurn S18-1000 20 mm was a WWII Swiss anti-tank rifle. It was a variant of the earlier S-18/100 with modifications for a higher muzzle velocity, as well as a larger cartridge size. The more powerful ammunition resulted in significant recoil, which was problematic for the gunner, and its size made portability difficult.

·
Registered
4,602 Posts
Just curious is that gun what would be considered a "Recoiless Rifle"?
The Flak 38 was an auto cannon. Picture a magazine fed M2 Browning on steroids, with a quick change barrel that weighed about what the Browning did.
The Swiss had the Solothurn , the Finns had the L-39 Lahti, Italy had a Breda, and Poland had an anti tank rifle chambered for it. Recoil on anti-tank guns was brutal, 1800grn bullet at 2800 - 3000fps, and something like 35,000fp of energy.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The Flak 38 was an auto cannon. Picture a magazine fed M2 Browning on steroids, with a quick change barrel that weighed about what the Browning did.
The Swiss had the Solothurn , the Finns had the L-39 Lahti, Italy had a Breda, and Poland had an anti tank rifle chambered for it. Recoil on anti-tank guns was brutal, 1800grn bullet at 2800 - 3000fps, and something like 35,000fp of energy.
A wealth of information - Thank you very much - I am very much a beginner in this topic.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Drek, I think the story of how that casing ended up in a box of instrument parts, would surely be interesting!
If only - what a story it would be. However, Forum Members have been very helpful in providing at least some background - our imagination will have to provide what's missing. Thank you.

·
Premium Member
4,323 Posts
An 1800gr bullet packing 35k fpe.....Holy smokes!!!

·
Registered
4,602 Posts
An 1800gr bullet packing 35k fpe.....Holy smokes!!!
Right? I recall one of those AT guns, maybe the L-39 weighed 109lbs, without the skids. There was another one, maybe German that had a 2 man crew, just in case the 1st shooter got a dislocated shoulder from the recoil!
The Finns nicknamed the L-39 "Norsupyssy", = Elephant Gun.

·
Premium Member
4,323 Posts
Right? I recall one of those AT guns, maybe the L-39 weighed 109lbs, without the skids. There was another one, maybe German that had a 2 man crew, just in case the 1st shooter got a dislocated shoulder from the recoil!
The Finns nicknamed the L-39 "Norsupyssy", = Elephant Gun.
You seem to be quite knowledgable about artillery weapons. By the way that Finnish nickname "Norsupyssy" sounds like it may be a nasty word.
EDIT: I was never in the military so unlike a lot of guys here I missed out on seeing and hearing the really REALLY COOL BIG STUFF going off.

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
LOL . Some items I have collected over the years were found in strange places to . Cool piece you got there if it could talk !!

·
Registered
5,393 Posts
Solothum-89$ with spare mag case and tools...ammo 75$ a case--1967 comic book ad

·
Registered
4,602 Posts
You seem to be quite knowledgable about artillery weapons. By the way that Finnish nickname "Norsupyssy" sounds like it may be a nasty word.
EDIT: I was never in the military so unlike a lot of guys here I missed out on seeing and hearing the really REALLY COOL BIG STUFF going off.
You should hear the Norwegian pronunciation!
Not a whole lot on artillery, but got involved helping a guy out building a single shot "wildcat" based on the Solothurn 20mm. He was necking it down from the 20mm (.787 caliber) to use .510 .50bmg projectiles. We lost touch, and I never found out if he finished it. With a 800grn Barnes bullet, I still think with the case capacity, it would have been a barrel burner.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts