The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about having an 1885 low-wall Winchester's barrel relined and rechambered to a more modern and usable caliber*. I'm told that the steel used back then won't stand too much pressure and will cause damage to the rifle.
I want to know exactly what part of the rifle will fail. I'd also like to know whether the replacement bolt made by MVA out of modern steel will resolve the problem. I want a caliber that will have components for reloading way out into the future.

*Current bore and chambering are .25RF, and ammo just isn't available.

·
Registered
7 Posts
What is the collector’s value of the OP’s rifle? Before he destroys that, he should get it appraised - he may be able to sell it and buy exactly what he wants with the proceeds. Or not, but worth the effort regardless.

I realize the OP likely knows this, but wanted to say it in public with the hope of saving more historical pieces - they won’t be made again and once modified they are “ruined” for collectors.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Well if it was me I probably would go with 22mag or even 22lr. That way you are going to get a lot more shooting out of it. I’ve had several old single shots RFs , redone in CFs. Like 22Jet, 357mag and some wildcats. I would have shot them a lot more had I just done 22mg or 22rf.

·
Registered
7,315 Posts
What is the collector’s value of the OP’s rifle? Before he destroys that, he should get it appraised - he may be able to sell it and buy exactly what he wants with the proceeds. Or not, but worth the effort regardless.

I realize the OP likely knows this, but wanted to say it in public with the hope of saving more historical pieces - they won’t be made again and once modified they are “ruined” for collectors.
It just makes the ones left in original condition worth more. I've done my share of driving up the prices on battle dressed Mausers, Springfields etc. :)

·
Registered
63 Posts
I'm thinking about having an 1885 low-wall Winchester's barrel relined and rechambered to a more modern and usable caliber*. I'm told that the steel used back then won't stand too much pressure and will cause damage to the rifle.
I want to know exactly what part of the rifle will fail. I'd also like to know whether the replacement bolt made by MVA out of modern steel will resolve the problem. I want a caliber that will have components for reloading way out into the future.

*Current bore and chambering are .25RF, and ammo just isn't available.
I own and shoot a modern Browning 1885(bought it in 1996). I pour and reload for it and it has never seen a factory round. Now that i have puffed up my chest. He he. The thought of ruining such a historical rifle when a equilivent or better suited on is available needs real consideration. I understand that this is your rifle and if i am out of line, i apologize. Glenn.

·
Premium Member
2,670 Posts
i got to stick my nose in this one. .32-20 is a lot more fun than a .38, rifle or hand gun. just my opinion. and yes i speak from experience. it is true that my taste in reloading and shooting has evolved from hand guns to long guns.

rick

1 - 17 of 17 Posts