The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While reloading 10mm, I am having issues with certain cases. Near the head, the cases are slightly expanded. These are first reloads. After resizing, the cases still exhibited some expansion, at the base of the body, just above the head. These cases were .430" and did not fit into the ammo checker. So, I lowered the resizing die (Hornady) to an interference fit, with about 15 lbs of "reloader handle" pressure onto the shell plate holder, and used extensive case lube.This helped lower the reject rate from 9% to about 6%. The bulk of the cases are A-USA, which should be Amscor.
So, the only thing that I see is the taper of the resizing die may be a factor. It is generously tapered, and may not be completely resizing near the head. Has anyone trimmed a resizing die to allow more resizing down to the head?
The other question, who makes the thickest cases near the head, to avoid the "bottom of the body bulge"
I am reloading with 180 grain Xtreme JHP, with 12gr of A #9, which should be about 1000fps. This is a low charge for 10mm.
I have seen this with 308 belt fed, that was a hot load, and brass 7.62 by 39.
I have not seen any issues with 45acp, 40, 9mm and 38spec.10mm seems to be a real problem.
Thanks!

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
It depends on your die and also how thick the shell holder is. The more the die is beveled edged and the thicker the shell holder is between the rim holding ring and the top limits how far down it sizes. A little preload on your shell holder keeps some slop out. Some die makers recommend about 1/8 turn past contact.

I had that issue with some until I went to a coax press. The part that holds the case is thinner on it so cases get sized all the way down to the solid base of the case. I'm not sure if this doesn't fatigue the brass more at the bottom though but have not had any seperations so far.

A little slower powder may help some in the 10. Something like blue dot+/-.

·
Registered
9,388 Posts
If your reloading dies are good quality (RCBS, Lyman, etc) and are properly adjusted - your cases should all be sized back down to proper specs. That being said, poor quality brass can be the problem. Just a couple of months ago my son brought down 2 boxes of once fired 9mm brass. The flash holes were drilled under size - so small that not even my smallest decapping pin would pass thru. Moral of the story is that not all brass is created equal. More likely than not the problem is the brass and not the dies. I wouldn't modify the dies - just get new brass if the only problem you have is with Armscor brass and not the others.

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
My guess is the 10mm cartridges where fired in a Glock. The reason I say this is the Glock handgun barrel feed ramp extends forward into a portion of the lower rear of the chamber. This leaves a part of the cartridge case web unsupported, so when either a 357 Sig, 40 S&W, or 10mm is fired, the unsupported part of the cartridge case over expands. This is an inherent problem with Glock handguns. The 9mm Luger cartridge for which the Glock was originally designed to fire, has the same fired cartridge case web expansion, but not as extreme.

If indeed these 10mm cartridges are fired in a Glock, Redding has the special G-RX push through resizing die set for 357 Sig, 40 S&W, and 10mm that can be used on a conventional single stage reloading press.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone, got some real good answers. I am looking for Lee's bulged buster. Yes, of the 17 failed cases:12 were A_USA (Amscor) 2 ea Starline, and the rest were random. Most of the failed loads were bulged near the head, or ~.152" from the face. In most instances, the bulge was approx 270 to 330 degrees around the body. 1 had the indication of the Glock single bubble bulge. If it will help, I'll send pics.
I have approx 200 of the A-USA cases remaining, going to try the Lee bulge tool before scrapping these cases. What all this gets down too, is that A-USA cases are too thin in the area of the body, near the head. I'll try to measure case thickness.
Federals were all good, so I may use these as a baseline. Too thin means a lot of wasted time and money.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks everyone, got some real good answers. I am looking for Lee's bulged buster. Yes, of the 17 failed cases:12 were A_USA (Amscor) 2 ea Starline, and the rest were random. Most of the failed loads were bulged near the head, or ~.152" from the face. In most instances, the bulge was approx 270 to 330 degrees around the body. 1 had the indication of the Glock single bubble bulge. If it will help, I'll send pics.
I have approx 200 of the A-USA cases remaining, going to try the Lee bulge tool before scrapping these cases. What all this gets down too, is that A-USA cases are too thin in the area of the body, near the head. I'll try to measure case thickness.
Federals were all good, so I may use these as a baseline. Too thin means a lot of wasted time and money.
Soonerfan66, the Lee Bulge buster was the answer. It works great, with the Lee Factory Crimp. When reloading 10mm, I am pressing the sizing die into the shell plate holder. In my early days of reloading, the sizing die just kissed the shell plate holder. Now, I jam it in with about 25lbs of force on the handle (Hornady AP), there were still a few slightly bulged cases. Changing the process, I now push all cases through the Lee Bulge buster, reload with a crimp, then run all completed cases/shells through an ammo checker. If the cartridge falls in, all the way to the head, and is easy to remove, this is a pass. If more than 5lbs of thumb pressure on the ammo checker, I will push the loaded case through the Bulge buster. This has eliminated all 10mm feed/cycle problems on Kimber 1911, Glock 20, and an M&P10. I'll report any issues, but this has been a great experience finally getting this issue behind me.
Next to resolve is 308 and 223/556 with slight bulges near the head, causing feed problems.

·
Premium Member
2,879 Posts
My guess is the 10mm cartridges where fired in a Glock. The reason I say this is the Glock handgun barrel feed ramp extends forward into a portion of the lower rear of the chamber. This leaves a part of the cartridge case web unsupported, so when either a 357 Sig, 40 S&W, or 10mm is fired, the unsupported part of the cartridge case over expands. This is an inherent problem with Glock handguns. The 9mm Luger cartridge for which the Glock was originally designed to fire, has the same fired cartridge case web expansion, but not as extreme.

If indeed these 10mm cartridges are fired in a Glock, Redding has the special G-RX push through resizing die set for 357 Sig, 40 S&W, and 10mm that can be used on a conventional single stage reloading press.
thank you for this post! i have a glock 17L that has had a ruptured shell case two times at the bottom. blew down into the mag. hurt the hand but no blood. had to rebuild the frame. i will never shoot that gun again. now i know why.
i thought i MAY have over charged the first one now i know it was not me. my thoughts on glock ownership are not good, and i think my money will be spent elsewhere. that unsupported area of the barrel is a bit too much and i never liked it, just thought it was a glock thing. it is.
an after market barrel should fix this, but i just do not care.

rick

·
Registered
268 Posts
Lots of information here! Thanks for sharing.
I inherited a Glock 22 (.40SW) Gen2 I’ve fired it some, but got a 9mm barrel (alpha wolf) for it. I like being able to shoot .40 and have a bunch of ammo. I’ll need to inspect my spent cases next time I shoot the .40.

Regarding the Lee bulge buster, it’s basically the factory crimp die with just the sizing ring, I believe, and a plastic bin to catch the cases on the way up. I think the bulge buster required you own the FCD and contains just the plastic pieces that acts like a dish on top of the die. Correct me if I’m wrong.

I had a strange issue sizing some 9mm brass. I’ll look for my pictures. The brass was expanded like described here and couldn’t get it to size. Tried several different brands of dies in a couple different presses without luck. Maybe a similar issue. I wondered if someone had over annealed it or something. Can’t seem to find the pic, but the base of the cases looked like the brass was being shaved by the die.

TD

·
Premium Member
4,127 Posts
Glad it worked out .I am not sure why but I have heard more of the case bulge thing with the .40 cal. mainly . Mine was with a 40 cal Hi point (please no haters!!!!!) but hear of Glocks in 40 cal doing this mostly . When I was checking into this issue years back I don't think any other guns were talked about .

·
Registered
268 Posts
I have used the Lee FCD with the crimping parts removed in order to remove case bulge on loaded 9mm cartridges that wouldn’t fit the case gage. I think you just need to unscrew the top and tap out the internal parts. This way it’s only doin a resize with the internal carbide ring to remove the bulge from what I understand. I’m not sure if they make non carbide versions for pistol straight wall cartridges or not, but you might need case lube if your die isn’t carbide.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have used the Lee FCD with the crimping parts removed in order to remove case bulge on loaded 9mm cartridges that wouldn’t fit the case gage. I think you just need to unscrew the top and tap out the internal parts. This way it’s only doin a resize with the internal carbide ring to remove the bulge from what I understand. I’m not sure if they make non carbide versions for pistol straight wall cartridges or not, but you might need case lube if your die isn’t carbide.
Did you 9mm case pass all the way through the Lee 9 mm FCD (w/crimp parts removed)?

·
Registered
23 Posts
The 9mm Markov FCD , with guts removed will allow most 9X19 cases to pass all the way through. Case lube helps.

I say most, as some have a rim diameter that will not allow them to pass. 😖

Unsupported chambers should NOT be supported!

Those that automate, will roll size. 🤑

While I do several K a year, I only bulge bust those that don’t come from my chambers.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts