Case separation in .400 CorBon

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Guest, Feb 24, 2003.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

rgreene501
    (5/23/02 11:15:23 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Case separation in .400 CorBon
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I recently purchased a new .400 CorBon barrel for my government length 1911. When shooting factory CorBon 150gr JHP loads, I had a case separation about .560 from the rim. This left the barrel in an unusable state until I was able to return home and remove the brass. I checked the headspace and it is about .720 (within tolerance). I've only been able to recover 5 cases out of 17 fired and have found that all of them show a ring in the same location. It looks like any of them could have failed in the same way.

Since its my first time with necked pistol rounds and with anything from CorBon, I'm a little puzzled. I've not heard any negative comments other than price when referring to this ammunition and would be interested in comments from other users.

John Hunter
    (5/23/02 6:25:30 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: Case separation in .400 CorBon
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Have you contacted CorBon? www.cor-bon.com/ Do you have any unfired ammo from the same box left? Hang onto it!
    John - NRA - Lifer
    IWLA - National Director

rgreene501
    (5/23/02 10:46:09 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Case separation in .400 CorBon
    John Hunter wrote:
    "Do you have any unfired ammo from the same box left? Hang onto it!"

I have 3 rounds from that box and around 140 rounds from the same lot. At $.80 per round, I update my count every time it goes bang.

I got a reply from Cor-Bon's tech support. Since I'm also seeing primer flow, they said to check the barrel fit and recheck the headspace.

Since I haven't heard anything negative about the ammo, I'll start there and see where it leads.

John Hunter
    (5/23/02 10:50:20 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: Case separation in .400 CorBon
    Let us know what you find.
    John - NRA - Lifer
    IWLA - National Director